April 28, 2024, 05:25:19 AM

News:

IonicWind Snippit Manager 2.xx Released!  Install it on a memory stick and take it with you!  With or without IWBasic!

problem with vista install

Started by whatsup, February 02, 2010, 06:48:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

whatsup

i try to install eb on vista home basic (lonovo laptop dual core 2GB RAM) and i get immidietly crash msg from windows
i don't have a chance to get into eb, to try change some settings
on XP it runs ok.

LarryMc

what was the "crash message" you got?

BTW, there are no settings inside EB that will help you.

Larry
LarryMc
Larry McCaughn :)
Author of IWB+, Custom Button Designer library, Custom Chart Designer library, Snippet Manager, IWGrid control library, LM_Image control library

whatsup

Problem signature:
  Problem Event Name:   APPCRASH
  Application Name:   ebdev.exe
  Application Version:   1.7.3.7
  Application Timestamp:   4aeb5e90
  Fault Module Name:   StackHash_eaa8
  Fault Module Version:   0.0.0.0
  Fault Module Timestamp:   00000000
  Exception Code:   c0000096
  Exception Offset:   002425fb
  OS Version:   6.0.6002.2.2.0.768.2
  Locale ID:   4105
  Additional Information 1:   eaa8
  Additional Information 2:   db2c2a4c7982e05ce4bfc8061bdab575
  Additional Information 3:   597b
  Additional Information 4:   93e8591b0619302ed883c862f3374669

Read our privacy statement:
  http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=50163&clcid=0x0409

LarryMc

LarryMc
Author of IWB+, Custom Button Designer library, Custom Chart Designer library, Snippet Manager, IWGrid control library, LM_Image control library

whatsup

I thought it could be DEP problem, but i don't like using apps with DEP problem.

LarryMc

February 02, 2010, 07:05:43 PM #5 Last Edit: February 02, 2010, 08:19:16 PM by Larry McCaughn
Other than what I suggested i have no idea.

Maybe someone else can suggest something.  I do know that there are others using EB on Vista machines without any problem.

Larry
LarryMc

sapero

Another solution (only if the setup is crashing) is to install it somewhere else (xp, sandbox) then just copy the base directory and examples (from user profile?) to vista.
If you have a setup unpacker tool, you can also unpack the setup and put all the files where you want,

whatsup

it's not the setup thatis crashing, the setup complete with no problem.
when i try to run eb, it's immidietly crashing.
from the links of larry, i saw someone with vista had to turn off DEP protection for eb, for it to work.

Doc

I've never had an issue with installing EB on Vista...
...just for grins, how long has it been since you rebooted the system?

Doc's Windows Rule #1: Always reboot and try again.
Doc's Windows Rule #2: When in doubt, see rule #1

;D ;D ;D

-Doc-

barry

I've been using EB on a Vista laptop.  I've never had any problems.  It works as smoothly as on my XP system.

I have UAC turned off.  I have administrator privileges. I did a normal install and it went like clockwork.

I do a system recovery on that laptop every few months and I've re-installed it each time in the same way with never a problem.  I'll be doing that again shortly.

I realize that telling you this isn't any help except to let you know that it should work.  Hope you find the problem.

Barry

Copex

uninstall EB, right-click the setup program and run as admin, then  start EB for the firs time do the same right-click and run as admin, you should then be able to start EB normally
also ensure you have the latest version.
-
I really should learn how to use a spell checker! though im not sure how it will help someone who can not spell?
-
Except where otherwise noted, content Posted By Copex is
licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License

http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/

whatsup

thank you guys for all your help.

i'm the only user on my laptop, there is only one account, so i don't think it has to be something with admin,
+ there is no problem in the setup process, only when EB run, so what can admin setup help to the way EB run ?

people who never had problem with Vista, it's probably because they didn't change the default DEP settings (that is off),
if they turn DEP protection on, does EB run ?

Doc

My Vista setup is:
Single user (myself) as Admin with all UAC control are in place. Pretty much as you have described your setup.  ??? ??? ???

Good luck,
-Doc-

whatsup

I mentioned that already several times
i have DEP protection set - ON

this is what make the big different (i think)

so if some one with vista can turn this on, and then reply, i'll be grateful.

(it's on the advanced settings of the system.)

Doc

Quoteso if some one with vista can turn this on, and then reply, i'll be grateful.

(it's on the advanced settings of the system.)

No problemo pardner...

For the sake of accuracy, I first uninstalled EBasic, then turned on the DEP as requested.
Reboot, re-installed EBasic and compiled a sample project without any difficulties.
Image attached shows my results.

Hope that helps, sir.

-Doc-

sapero

QuoteFault Module Name:   StackHash_eaa8
I think StackHash_eaa8 is not a system module. Create a restore point, find and delete/rename/unregister/deny access to this dll (?), then try with EB again.

whatsup

thank you very much,
i will try again (also with admin), and post result.

whatsup

result:
i uninstalled eb
then reinstalled it,
got a crash
turned DEP off only for it
every thing work,
turned DEP back On,
crash

the same with creative basic , though i didn't check with DEP off,
but got a crash with DEP on.

Ionic Wind Support Team

Two vista machines here, one Windows 7, no problems with either.  And yes DEP is on and my processors support it.

I have run into issues before when I have had bad ram, weird DEP exceptions on programs that previously ran fine, the solution was to replace the bad stick and all was good.

So my advice to you is to do a complete system hardware check, then run a good malware detector...something better than the free Microsoft ones.  While you could disable DEP for the IDE's all you would be doing is masking an issue with your system.

Paul.
Ionic Wind Support Team

whatsup

i run many programs, and i have this laptop almost a year,
use it most of the day,
my DEP is always on for all apps.
i never even once, got DEP exception,
the only time, is with EB and CB.

but even though, i might run a memory scan.

Copex

i was running vista x64 with DEP on no problems....................... now using win7 pro x64 and xp vm for testing... :-)
-
I really should learn how to use a spell checker! though im not sure how it will help someone who can not spell?
-
Except where otherwise noted, content Posted By Copex is
licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License

http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/

barry

Quote from: whatsup on February 04, 2010, 08:31:07 AM
thank you guys for all your help.

i'm the only user on my laptop, there is only one account, so i don't think it has to be something with admin,
+ there is no problem in the setup process, only when EB run, so what can admin setup help to the way EB run ?

people who never had problem with Vista, it's probably because they didn't change the default DEP settings (that is off),
if they turn DEP protection on, does EB run ?

I have DEP protection on and Ebasic is fine on my Vista laptop, as I described above.

Barry
\