March 28, 2024, 03:24:09 PM

News:

Own IWBasic 2.x ? -----> Get your free upgrade to 3.x now.........

CBasic APPCRASH at startup

Started by Rod Morrell, November 21, 2009, 04:50:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rod Morrell

I have a single user Vista Home Premium so I am always logged on as Administrator.  When I Start, Programs, CB Creative Basic I get the Vista User Account Control warning "An unidentified program wants to access your computer" to which I reply Allow, then I get the Microsoft Windows message "Creative BASIC has stopped working" with the problem signature below.  I never see anything from Creative Basic itself.

I tried Start, Programs, rclick Creative Basic, Properties and set it to run in WinXP mode and Run as Administrator even though I am always the Administrator.  Still failed with the same error message.

Cbasic has never asked me to enter my license key.  When will I need to enter it?

How do I get it to start?

Thanks for your help.

Regards,

Rod Morrell

Problem signature:
  Problem Event Name:   APPCRASH
  Application Name:   cbasic.exe
  Application Version:   2.0.2.5
  Application Timestamp:   48f3be2f
  Fault Module Name:   StackHash_529a
  Fault Module Version:   0.0.0.0
  Fault Module Timestamp:   00000000
  Exception Code:   c0000096
  Exception Offset:   003729b6
  OS Version:   6.0.6002.2.2.0.768.3
  Locale ID:   4105
  Additional Information 1:   529a
  Additional Information 2:   a2737c7a2925e0453281ca7884a839a2
  Additional Information 3:   eb75
  Additional Information 4:   2372522e9b163b2d92db6d620660c3cb

Rod Morrell

Rod Morrell

I installed it on my old Win98 PC that I'm no longer regularily using, and it works fine. 

The question now is how to get it to work on Vista.

Rod Morrell
Rod Morrell

Rod Morrell

SOLVED by disabling DEP for cbasic.exe.  Do this by:
1. Goto Control Panel\System
2. Click on the 'Advanced' tab
3. Under 'Performance', click the Settings... button
4. A new window will open - 'Performance Options'
5. Click the 'Data Execution Prevention' tab
6. You will see two options:
( ) Turn on DEP for essential Windows programs and services only
(.) Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select: <------ make sure this one is selected
7. Click the Add... button and look for the cbasic.exe file, and select it.
8. Click Apply then OK. You may or may not have to reboot - Windows will tell you.
9. Close any other dialogs.

This would seem to suggest that cbasic is perhaps writing into areas of memory it should not for safe operation.  I'll leave it to the developers to determine whether any revisions to the code are appropriate.

Rod Morrell
Rod Morrell

Ionic Wind Support Team

Actually you'll need to complain to Microsoft for that one.  Creative is written using MS Visual C++ 5.0 and MFC, which happens to break their "current" rules.

Paul.
Ionic Wind Support Team

wdborgen

I downloaded the newest Creative BASIC, installed it and it crashed on my Vista SP1 Toshiba laptop.
Microsoft opened up a box saying the program stopped working - and that was that.
I tried the DEP fix suggested on this forum and rebooted but got the same stopped working window.

I then dug up my copy of Creative BASIC V1.0 and installed it(DEP fix put back to original default) and the IDE came up in a flash and looks like
it should work fine. Would it help to post any error/log information to help me get the latest Creative BASIC
working?

Oh, BTW, The latest version of Emergence BASIC on my Vista laptop rocks!
I ran a bunch of samples on it and worked-no problemo.

aurelCB

If CBasic 1.0 work use this version it is the same.
Try ABasic he is written in 1.0 and i think that work on Vista OK.

GWS

Hi Folks,

Despite Paul's best efforts to accommodate the dictatorial requirements of Vista as to where your files can be placed, some folk are still having problems getting the program to work on their machines.

Version 1.01 was intended to keep Vista happy by placing the Creative program in the Program Files area, and the Sample Programs in the area:

'My Documents\Creative BASIC\samples'

In most cases this seems to have worked, but for some folks it doesn't.

So I've uploaded the original free version of Creative - version 1.0, which keeps all it's files together in one folder, with the sample files in a subfolder, on the Coding Monkeys site.

http://www.codingmonkeys.com/index.php?action=tpmod;dl=item253

If you've had problems getting things to work under Vista, try this version.

Unload your previous installation by 'Start - Settings - Control Panel - Add / Restore'.  Then re-install but change the default installation folder to one of your choice.

Myself, I have my hard disk partitioned into several logical drives C:\, D:\, E:\ .. etc.  So I install to a drive other than C:\ - then it's non of Vista's business  ..  ;D

If you only have one large C:\ drive, then choose your own Creative directory such as C:\BASIC for example.  Hopefully that should work.

I can't try it, 'cos I dumped Vista off my machine when it left me with a heap of what Microsoft quaintly call 'Legacy' software that wouldn't work with Vista ..  :

By the way, this version does not require a User / Key.  To my knowledge, apart from the Vista thing, there is no significant difference between version 1.01 and this free version 1.0.

all the best,
:)
Graham
Tomorrow may be too late ..