April 25, 2024, 08:47:25 AM

News:

Own IWBasic 2.x ? -----> Get your free upgrade to 3.x now.........

Cross Platform

Started by Zen, November 15, 2005, 02:25:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zen

With the language being cross platform and having an IDE for Windows and one for Linux. Will you still be able to compile for a Linux target from the windows IDE?

I would like to be able to do this because i make a few CGI programs that i would like to be able to compile for Linux but not have to create them in Linux, just test.

Lewis

Ionic Wind Support Team

Linux and Windows use two different object formats.  The Windows linker doesn't accept linux format object files, and can't create a linux binary image.  Just as the linux linker doesn't know how to do PE32 format. 

If your going to do any serious development for Linux you'll need either a linux box, or something like VMWare. 

Paul.
Ionic Wind Support Team

Zen

Ive seen programs (.exe) that will run on both windows and linux before without the use of an emulator.

I have linux on my desktop so im not too bothered, i just thought that it would be cool to be able to write both on one system.

Thanks
Lewis

Ionic Wind Support Team

You can use WINE on Linux to run most executables, as long as DirectX isn't involved.  But it's not the same as a compiling a native linux program.  Wine isn't an emulator as it uses a reverse engineered clone of the Windows API for Linux. Being reverse engineered it isn't without its bugs and problems though.

I use a remote VNC desktop with my linux box so I can develop on both platforms without switching machines.  It shows your linux desktop in a Window.

http://www.realvnc.com/download.html

There is a free version. 

Ionic Wind Support Team

Zen

It was just for ease of being able to do all on one computer. Ive used linux a lot but not for programming, only website design and server configuration etc.

I do all my windows programming and most stuff on my laptop, i then have my desktop for other things like games (when i have time) and it is dual booted with Fedora Core 3.

Lewis