April 28, 2024, 07:39:43 PM

News:

Own IWBasic 2.x ? -----> Get your free upgrade to 3.x now.........

reading a text file and possible comma problem

Started by TexasPete, March 01, 2009, 06:49:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TexasPete

Lb has the ability to read a comma into the text string. Does the read in eb read in commas or does it read upto the comma and go to the next text input.

Thanks
Texas Pete

Ionic Wind Support Team

Not enough information.  If you are reading text from an ASCII file then commas have nothing to do with anything.  A comma is just another ASCII character.
Ionic Wind Support Team

TexasPete

Paul , I don't know what I am hunting for exactly. I think it is some hidden character that would truncate the reading of a line of text.
I have pinned it down to the fact that it is not reading the entire line of text. I have the textline string set to 13000 character.So I know that is not it.
Thanks
Texas Pete
I will keep looking.

Rock Ridge Farm (Larry)

Might not be related to your problem but I have had strange results if the ',' sep. file had
any " or ' chars in it - seems to play hell with string data.

Just a thought.

LarryMc

TexasPete

Show us the code and the file.

Then we can possibly help

Larry
LarryMc
Larry McCaughn :)
Author of IWB+, Custom Button Designer library, Custom Chart Designer library, Snippet Manager, IWGrid control library, LM_Image control library

billhsln

If there is a Binary 00 in the file, that will really give text strings problems, since that is the end of string marker.

Bill
When all else fails, get a bigger hammer.

TexasPete

Thanks larry and bill, I will look at it again and if I still can't see anything I will post code and see if you guys can see anything. Thanks all!

TexasPete

sorry, I found out what the problem was a string array was not long enough and was cutting off the end of the string. I thank you so much for the feed back. It gives me something to watch out for in the future.
Thanks
Texas Pete