April 26, 2024, 02:34:20 PM

News:

IonicWind Snippit Manager 2.xx Released!  Install it on a memory stick and take it with you!  With or without IWBasic!

Syntax discussion

Started by Ionic Wind Support Team, October 24, 2005, 04:24:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zen

I wonder how long it will be before we see some linux stuff (not trying to rush things). Ive never programmed with linux before so being able to do it in a language that i feel comfortable with will be awesome.

Lewis

Parker

Yeah, I'm wondering too about the linux API (GTK/Gnome/whatever is used) and how it compares to windows.

Zen

Well as i dont know much about linux apart from the web side of things (and still not much) im curious as to how it all works with the different desktop environments. They must all have to be of a certain standard and all have a sort of global GUI API that is the same as all the others in order for Linux apps to work on any Desktop.

Im more interested in making console based applications for linux anyway, maybe ill get pulled into making some GUI stuff but i doubt it, it will mostly be used for my web development.

Lets just wait and see hey!
Lewis

Parker

There's xwindows, but there are a lot of different desktop managers that I assume work differently.

Zen

Yes i think X Windows is the linux GUI core and then there are the desktop managers like Gnome and KDE which i assume will sort of work like a class. KDE inherits X Windows API etc. Maybe im not too sure. I understand Paul is a bit of a linux Fan and Guru so maybe he knows.

Lewis