April 23, 2024, 10:11:50 PM

News:

IonicWind Snippit Manager 2.xx Released!  Install it on a memory stick and take it with you!  With or without IWBasic!

INTERSECT command

Started by JoaoAfonso, June 10, 2008, 03:36:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoaoAfonso

Good evening.
I am trying to make an intersection between 2 selects, but things are not working as supposed. If I use them individually binding the result variable, both return what's expected, but using INTERSECT, my program do not get any result...

'first_table' has the following columns: 'number','activity_name','person','phone'. 'second_table' has the following columns: 'activity_number','initial_date','final_date'.
'number' and 'activity_number' from 'first table' and 'second table', respectively, are the numbers I want to check.
Using this, wont return anything:
"SELECT number FROM first_table WHERE activity_name='physical training' AND person='male' INTERSECT SELECT activity_number FROM second_table WHERE initial_date='01JAN08'

Maybe this can be important, but both number and activity_number columns are of the same type.
JoÃÆ'ƒÂÃ,£o Afonso
Viriato
-----------------
Iberia MUD
www.iberiamud.com
iberiamud.com:5900

LarryMc

Do you get an error message of any kind?

Do each of the SELECT statements return expected results when used by themselves?

Larry
LarryMc
Larry McCaughn :)
Author of IWB+, Custom Button Designer library, Custom Chart Designer library, Snippet Manager, IWGrid control library, LM_Image control library

LarryMc

June 11, 2008, 09:08:47 AM #2 Last Edit: June 11, 2008, 09:11:57 AM by Larry McCaughn
Found this on the internet in some SQL documentation:

QuoteIn order to calculate the union, intersection, or difference of two queries, the two queries must be "union compatible", which means that they both return the same number of columns, and that the corresponding columns have compatible data types

and

QuoteIntersection and Set-Difference
The INTERSECT and EXCEPT operators of SQL are not supported in mySQL. We suggest that instead, you use a join with all corresponding attributes equated in place of an intersection. For instance, to get the intersection of R(a,b) and S(a,b), write:

SELECT DISTINCT *
FROM R
WHERE EXISTS (SELECT * FROM S WHERE R.a = S.a AND R.b = S.b);

Larry
LarryMc
Larry McCaughn :)
Author of IWB+, Custom Button Designer library, Custom Chart Designer library, Snippet Manager, IWGrid control library, LM_Image control library

JoaoAfonso

This is a translation from CB and in CB this worked with the same columns... in CB I used SQLite 3.

Also, both selects work as expected alone.

I know I can work around... but using more code.

Thanks, I will try that DISTINCT keycode.
JoÃÆ'ƒÂÃ,£o Afonso
Viriato
-----------------
Iberia MUD
www.iberiamud.com
iberiamud.com:5900