April 25, 2024, 11:59:31 PM

News:

IonicWind Snippit Manager 2.xx Released!  Install it on a memory stick and take it with you!  With or without IWBasic!

A few questions about the tools

Started by Parker, January 17, 2006, 10:11:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Parker

I've got a couple of questions regarding the Aurora tools, namely the linker and assembler.
- Paul had said that NASM had to be fixed in order to output proper files, and as a result we got the source code for his fixed version. Have those fixes been added officially to nasm, or will that folder still be there in version 1?
- I've seen many people use MS's linker with their languages, and I've been wondering if that's allowed, and if the Aurora linker is redistributable, and finally if there are any resources available about how all that is accomplished. I'm probably not at the level that I could write a linker, just curious.
- How hard would it be to make nasm or the linker output pure binary files that can be run in one of those hobbyist's OSes? Just wondering because I'm reading some OS tutorials and wondering if it's possible to run Aurora programs in them.

Zen

NASM can make pure binary filel. Thats how i made that bootloader i was telling you about. Just do NASMW -H for help. The rest is way over my head.

Lewis

Parker

Yeah, I know nasm can do it, what I don't know is whether or not it's possible to use Aurora's generated code. Since it relies on some libraries I'd guess not, but you never know.

Zen

Oh sorry. i misunderstood your question. It would be good if you could but i doubt it unless every function in the Aurora library is written in ASM and doesnt rely on windows API.

When i was reading about using C to write your own operating system you can use ASM to write the bootloader then if you make your own standard C library in ASM for your OS you can code the rest in C and make it more powerfull as you go along.

There was an example C library in ASM in that Zip i sent you.

Lewis