April 25, 2024, 08:24:56 PM

News:

IonicWind Snippit Manager 2.xx Released!  Install it on a memory stick and take it with you!  With or without IWBasic!

Tractor Pong Game

Started by GWS, March 31, 2008, 01:46:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GWS

Here's a little game I've written, based on the ancient 'Pong' game but a new interpretation with dynamics and random variations.

Select the left or right tractors and flatbed, with the Left / Right arrow keys (or Left / Right mouse buttons).

Control up/down movement with the Up / Down arrow keys.

The tractors will have varying top speeds and acceleration (due to dodgy fuel I expect) ..  ;D

The 'alien' ball will increase in speed as each go progresses.  It will re-appear at random positions.

Although simple, the code illustrates game timing, and uses dynamic acceleration/deceleration of the tractors. That took a bit of figuring out ..  :)

Hopefully, it should run at the same speed on all computers.

I've included an .exe verson in the zip, for those who haven't got Creative Basic loaded at the moment.

best wishes, :)

Graham
Tomorrow may be too late ..

GWS

OK .. OK ..  :)  I'm puzzled ..

This is the probably most viewed and downloaded topic on the entire Forum - and not a single comment  ::)

Perhaps it's the most awful game ever created, or maybe it's so-so  :) .. but a reply of any kind would be nice.

Even the Forum management system is warning me that this topic has not been posted to for 120 days - I think it's trying to bury it ..  ;D ;D

Also strange is the low download to view ratio.  I included the .exe in case some folk didn't have Creative loaded, but maybe there is some other problem.

any comments gratefully received .. :)

Graham

Duffer

TBH, I don't know if I downloaded this or not.  I do not keep CB installed to try out code and DX7 based games do not work on my systems so the EXE wouldn't be much of a help to me. 

It does sound interesting though ;D  But, as I have learned over the years there is extremely little interest in anything game related in this community. 

GWS

Hi Bryce ..  :)  nice to hear from somebody ..  :)

You say DX7 games don't work on your machine - is that 'cos you haven't got DX loaded, or is there a problem with the code CB generates?  It all works fine for me ..  :)

Don't any of the DX examples work for you either?

Graham

Duffer

It is DX7 in general and not specific to CB.

In EB/Aurora, I use DX9 for sprites and there is no problem  ;)

Ionic Wind Support Team

Graham
The "views" don't reflect reality.  Since it is the first topic of this section, the search engine spiders hit it based on the link to the topic in the main forum.   It seems spiders only drill down one level at times.

Paul.
Ionic Wind Support Team

GWS

Hi Paul .. I've never understood spiders ..  :)

Funny I don't see the same effect on other threads though.

My main concern was whether maybe nobody got it to work for some reason .. it seems OK on my machine.
Sometimes it seems like posts just go into a black hole ..  ::)

all the best, :)

Graham

Ionic Wind Support Team

Depends on how frequent someone posts in a category.  This one has been pretty static.
Ionic Wind Support Team

GWS

You can say that again ..  :) .. hence my post.

Graham

LarryMc

Hey Graham,

Here's a post - HAPPY BIRTHDAY FRIDAY!!!!!

Larry
LarryMc
Larry McCaughn :)
Author of IWB+, Custom Button Designer library, Custom Chart Designer library, Snippet Manager, IWGrid control library, LM_Image control library

GWS

Ha! .. thanks Larry .. :)

I made another one .. and I feel up to trying for the next ..  ;D ;D

Graham

Duffer

I just got through giving this a spin on my Eee.  It runs, but does so very slowly.  This makes it hard to play.  I am guessing this is because of the Intel graphics chip which is probably forcing DirectDraw into software emulation.  Intel graphics chips are not really known for being useful for anything graphic related  ;)  But it does run and does so without any errors ;D

GWS

Thanks for taking the time to check it out Brice ..  :)

Running a DX loop with all the graphics that entails is quite a load on a machine unless there is a reasonable GPU fitted.

Nice to know it at least works for someone else though - otherwise, I'm wasting my time developing stuff.

I imagine you'd find my little Christmas card would run a bit slowly for you as well then ..

Graham