April 19, 2024, 06:15:07 AM

News:

IonicWind Snippit Manager 2.xx Released!  Install it on a memory stick and take it with you!  With or without IWBasic!

Windows Messages

Started by John Syl., April 12, 2008, 03:22:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Syl.

I think this may be a Paul question.

I am experimenting with  messages both threads and windows, with some success.
However, heres the question.  In the MSDN overview of messages and queues http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms644927(VS.85).aspx#app_defined
it quotes:
Quote# The system reserves message-identifier values in the range 0x0000 through 0x03FF (the value of WM_USER â€ââ,¬Å" 1) for system-defined messages. Applications cannot use these values for private messages.
# Values in the range 0x0400 (the value of WM_USER) through 0x7FFF are available for message identifiers for private window classes.

While working with these messages I've noticed messages in the region of 0x0400 appearing.  As they are in the user message area, I assume that they are being used as part of the Aurora operation.  Assuming this is correct, what ranges of values of messages are safe to use in the Aurora environment?

many thanks
John
Intel 3.6 p4 ht, XP home,2 gb mem, 400 gb hd 20gb raid 0, Nvidia 6600le.
AMD k6-2 500, 40gb.

Started on PDP11 Assembler, BASIC, GWBASIC, 6502, Z80, 80x86, Java, Pascal, C, C++, 
IBasic (std & pro), Aurora, EBasic.  (Master of none, but it's been fun!)

Ionic Wind Support Team

Microsoft is confusing aren't they ;)

In reality most of the common controls use message values in the WM_USER range, not by me of course, but by Microsoft themselves.  Because later on in the development of Windows they came up with a new rule.   WM_APP (0x8000) is the beginning of application defined messages.

You can use the WM_USER range as long as the messages are only sent to your windows private message handler, such as a custom control

In any event the message ranges are:

System messages: 0 to 0x3FF
WM_USER 0x400 to 0x7FFF
WM_APP 0x8000 to 0xBFFF
Registered messages 0xC000 to 0xFFFF

Paul.

Ionic Wind Support Team

John Syl.

Thanks Paul.

Shows how naive I am, believing what Microsoft say ::)

As it happened it was not a big problem, but could have given me a headache, now I know I can avoid any problems...I hope.

Many thanks

John
Intel 3.6 p4 ht, XP home,2 gb mem, 400 gb hd 20gb raid 0, Nvidia 6600le.
AMD k6-2 500, 40gb.

Started on PDP11 Assembler, BASIC, GWBASIC, 6502, Z80, 80x86, Java, Pascal, C, C++, 
IBasic (std & pro), Aurora, EBasic.  (Master of none, but it's been fun!)