April 26, 2024, 07:29:59 AM

News:

IonicWind Snippit Manager 2.xx Released!  Install it on a memory stick and take it with you!  With or without IWBasic!

A couple of suggestions

Started by Mike Stefanik, January 13, 2006, 05:49:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Stefanik

Since Aurora is fairly close to C/C++ in general syntax, a few suggestions for those of us who go into "C" mode:

1. Support prefix increments/decrements (ie: ++foo and --bar)
2. Support the unary negation operator (!), the bitwise not (~) and xor (^)
3. Support the "C" style equality operator (==) and not equals (!=)

In the last case, I'm not saying to replace = and <>, just allow == and != as well.

In terms of the bitwise operators, I love C's syntax where you can do things like:

foo &= ~(bar1 | bar2);

Very nice, neat and clean.
Mike Stefanik
www.catalyst.com
Catalyst Development Corporation

Zen

i dont see why the operators cant be added. i like using the != too. but like paul orriginaly said this is not C. its like it, with a touch of his own.

LewIs

Parker

I have to make a point for the future about the == operator. In classes when you have overloaded operators, the compiler can't distinguish between you writing operator= in the sense of == or in the sense of :=. So I personally think at least that one is needed assuming we will have operator overloading (hopefully). I also like the != better than <>. The <> seems like a strange BASIC operator, while != makes more sense, since the ! is the not operator, and = is equal. At least more sense than "if x is less than or greater than x??"