March 28, 2024, 03:40:00 AM

News:

Own IWBasic 2.x ? -----> Get your free upgrade to 3.x now.........

Cartography to 3D

Started by JoaoAfonso, January 18, 2008, 02:30:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoaoAfonso

Ahoy!
I am thinking in writing a program that can create a 3D surface based in true maps. The functioning would be first create a 2D map, where you would see the landscape from the top, and then one could click in that surface to set the height of multiple points (200m height, 300m height, etc, etc). What the program would do then is to convert that 2D information in 3D, by joining all dots of same height to create a true 3D height.

Is there already a program that does that easily (EB or not)?

I am doing my second or third "experiment" with 3D, so I would be glad if someone could give me one or two advices about creating this program.

Thank you.
JoÃÆ'ƒÂÃ,£o Afonso
Viriato
-----------------
Iberia MUD
www.iberiamud.com
iberiamud.com:5900

J B Wood (Zumwalt)

If I am not mistaken, Pauls 3d plugin library already can do heightmap landscapes, I haven't played with it at all but there should be a demo of landscaping somewhere in the 3d folder.

JoaoAfonso

Haven't figured it out. Ill download aurora and check 3D help file to check if I can find something.
JoÃÆ'ƒÂÃ,£o Afonso
Viriato
-----------------
Iberia MUD
www.iberiamud.com

J B Wood (Zumwalt)

c:\Program Files\Aurora\examples\d3d

There is a landscape.src file, open it in Aurora and run it, is this what you are looking to do?

JoaoAfonso

AMAZING!

It is exactly that what I am searching for!

Was all that landscape coded just via 2 or 3 pictures with different colors??

First, from what I could understand, EB can run aurora code with small changes, right? (I would like to code it in EB)

Second, what are the rules for colorcodes?

Many thanks!
JoÃÆ'ƒÂÃ,£o Afonso
Viriato
-----------------
Iberia MUD
www.iberiamud.com

JoaoAfonso

I changed abit the code and got some color maps from my region, as well as relief maps. I still have one doubt: after landscape is created, how to put an image over the surface created? I mean, considering the different heights, texture will be tile1, 2 or 3, but I wish to put an image (like an airplane photo, or a road map). How to make it? Also, how can I learn the different color codes and shadows in height and light maps?
A last doubt: I used a 600x600 height and light maps for creating my landscape, but when moving the camera all the landscape appears in my window, it slows drastically the movement. How to prevent this to happen (using pictures less than 600x600 will fix it, but I pretend to create this big landscape)?

It seems a very powerfull command.
JoÃÆ'ƒÂÃ,£o Afonso
Viriato
-----------------
Iberia MUD
www.iberiamud.com

pistol350

I don't know the answer to your other questions but about the "different color codes and shadows in height and light maps" part,I may be wrong but you should have a look to Cbasic 3D command set , i think it works the same way.

Regards,
Peter.
Regards,

Peter B.

JoaoAfonso

Couldnt find anything about it... I've updated my CB help files from someone from ionic winds forum, though (they are different from main help files, but should be more complete).

Best regards,
JoÃÆ'Ã,£o Afonso
JoÃÆ'ƒÂÃ,£o Afonso
Viriato
-----------------
Iberia MUD
www.iberiamud.com

REDEBOLT

Quote from: Jonathan (zumwalt) Wood on January 20, 2008, 10:12:37 AM

There is a landscape.src file, open it in Aurora and run it, is this what you are looking to do?

I compiled the program without errors, but then got that box that says send.don't send.
Am I missing a dll?  How do I find out what version of directx that I have?
Regards,
Bob

pistol350

Quote from: JoaoAfonso on January 22, 2008, 01:00:17 PM
Couldnt find anything about it... I've updated my CB help files from someone from ionic winds forum, though (they are different from main help files, but should be more complete).

Best regards,
JoÃÆ'Ã,£o Afonso

Hi JoaoAfonso !

Do you mean the userGuide located here ?

http://www.ionicwind.com/forums/index.php/topic,2009.0.html
Regards,

Peter B.

JoaoAfonso

nod, that one. As I substituted the help files, I don't have the original one. Checking 3d help topics in this new one, I couldnt find any tips about what I am looking for.

Doing some experiments, I can figure out how color codes and how shading maps work, but I still do not "control" what I am doing (I mean, I want to make a true representation of a region. I have true maps. How to create a point with 200m height and another one with 300m as they are exactly in real world?). With the help of other programs I can get the shade and color maps (which makes very easy what I need to do), but main problems now are I can't put an aerial photograph picture over the landscape, and also if area is big, it turns to be very slow.
JoÃÆ'ƒÂÃ,£o Afonso
Viriato
-----------------
Iberia MUD
www.iberiamud.com

pistol350

Quote from: REDEBOLT on January 22, 2008, 01:23:08 PM
Quote from: Jonathan (zumwalt) Wood on January 20, 2008, 10:12:37 AM

I compiled the program without errors, but then got that box that says send.don't send.
Am I missing a dll?  How do I find out what version of directx that I have?

Hi BOB!
To find what version of Directx is installed in your PC, you can do it that way:

1 - go to your windows start menu
2 - then click on "Run"
3 - Type "dxdiag"
4 - then launch the utility. it will give you a bunch of infos about Directx and also about your hardware config.
Regards,

Peter B.

J B Wood (Zumwalt)

Heya Bob, sorry for long delays, my life right now is, well, in shambles, but that aside, just go to the Microsoft website and download the latest DX software and patch up to that, which should fix your issue. Not for sure, but a good guess.

REDEBOLT

February 20, 2008, 05:47:49 PM #13 Last Edit: February 20, 2008, 05:53:14 PM by REDEBOLT
Thanks for all your help and hints.

I ran the dxdiag program and got an extensive listing.  Here are the highlights:

------------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 2/20/2008, 19:26:00
       Machine name: IBM1472I
   Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.070227-2254)
           Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: IBM Corporation
       System Model: IBM ThinkPad
               BIOS: Default System BIOS
          Processor: Intel Pentium II,  MMX, ~360MHz
             Memory: 256MB RAM
          Page File: 142MB used, 475MB available
        Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
    DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
     DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.2180 32bit Unicode

------------
DxDiag Notes
------------
  DirectX Files Tab: No problems found.
      Display Tab 1: No problems found. DirectDraw test results: All tests were successful. Direct3D functionality not available.  You should verify that the driver is a final version from the hardware manufacturer.
        Sound Tab 1: No problems found.
          Music Tab: No problems found.
          Input Tab: No problems found.
        Network Tab: No problems found.
. . .

---------------
Display Devices
---------------
        Card name: NeoMagic MagicGraph256AV driver
     Manufacturer: NeoMagic
        Chip type: MagicMedia256AV
         DAC type: MagicMedia256AV
       Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10C8&DEV_0005&SUBSYS_10021025&REV_20
   Display Memory: 2.5 MB
     Current Mode: 1024 x 768 (16 bit) (60Hz)
          Monitor: Default Monitor
  Monitor Max Res:
      Driver Name: neo20xx.dll
   Driver Version: 5.31.0000.0000 (English)
      DDI Version: unknown
Driver Attributes: Final Retail
Driver Date/Size: 8/17/2001 22:36:02, 60480 bytes
      WHQL Logo'd: Yes
  WHQL Date Stamp: n/a
              VDD: n/a
         Mini VDD: neo20xx.sys
    Mini VDD Date: 8/17/2001 12:50:04, 39264 bytes
Device Identifier: {D7B71E28-4345-11CF-9573-023090C2C835}
        Vendor ID: 0x10C8
        Device ID: 0x0005
        SubSys ID: 0x10021025
      Revision ID: 0x0020
      Revision ID: 0x0020
      Video Accel:
Deinterlace Caps: n/a
         Registry: OK]

DDraw Status: Enabled
       D3D Status: Not Available
       AGP Status: Not Available
DDraw Test Result: All tests were successful.
D3D7 Test Result: Not run
D3D8 Test Result: Not run
D3D9 Test Result: Not run

Does the highlighted entries the reason that I cannot run dx3d programs?

Or is there a directx upgrade that will help me?

Note that this is a laptop and I presume the graphics card cannot be updated?
Regards,
Bob

Ionic Wind Support Team

Display Tab 1: No problems found. DirectDraw test results: All tests were successful. Direct3D functionality not available.  You should verify that the driver is a final version from the hardware manufacturer.
Display Memory: 2.5 MB

I'm surprised the computer is even running with so little display memory.  If it is shared video then check the BIOS settings of the motherboard to see if you can bump that up to at least 16MB minimum.  Cheapie graphics cards for desktops have 128MB video ram these days.

Also the first message notes that D3D functions are not available, it is possible that the video driver isn't correct.  However searching google for MagicMedia256AV shows that no one has gotten 3D to work with that chip :(

Paul.
Ionic Wind Support Team

REDEBOLT

Thanks, Paul.

I couldn't find anything in the bios about display memory.

Is that something I have to hardware tinker?
Regards,
Bob

J B Wood (Zumwalt)

You need a new laptop, I did some research and everything I seen about that video set, it doesn't support D3D at all.
http://forums.windrivers.com/showthread.php?t=64318
There is a link to just one of the forums I looked at. There are tons more, just google up the video driver and video chip set. It was not meant to support D3D, its made for, well, just doing school work or anything but 3d games. It might run DirectDraw stuff though, no guarantees. I wouldn't continue with it if I were you, you need at least 8mb video to get any good D3D at all, thats at a bare minimum. You have only 2.5 megs of video, enough to run office.

REDEBOLT

Thanks, Jonathan,
That answers my question.
Regards,
Bob