March 28, 2024, 08:14:19 AM

News:

Own IWBasic 2.x ? -----> Get your free upgrade to 3.x now.........

1K Challenge

Started by Zen, January 13, 2006, 04:08:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zen

January 13, 2006, 04:08:47 PM Last Edit: January 13, 2006, 04:10:26 PM by Lewis
Now that things are well underway with Aurora. I think it is time to have a little fun and have a 1K source code challenge.

We may have to up it from 1K though as OOP is quite heavy. Maybe a 10K as it will make things more interesting.

What say you people?

Lewis

Bruce Peaslee

Some of my variable names are 1K, so I think I won't have much of a chance.ÂÃ,  ÂÃ, :D
Bruce Peaslee
"Born too loose."
iTired (There's a nap for that.)
Well, I headed for Las Vegas
Only made it out to Needles

Zen

Sorry i changed it during your post bruce, maybe 10K?

Lewis

Bruce Peaslee

HeaderMaker is only 8K - could I submit that? Or is it too late now that it's been postedÂÃ,  ;)
Bruce Peaslee
"Born too loose."
iTired (There's a nap for that.)
Well, I headed for Las Vegas
Only made it out to Needles

Parker

I seriously doubt that I'd participate in a 1K competition. However, as to Paul's suggestion, I'd certainly do a competition that limits the exe size, not the source size.

Zen

Hmm thats interesting Parker.

Bruce there is no reason why you could not submit it. Although no competition has started yet, i was only suggesting it to see if anyone else was interested. It helps people learn things and also keeps the community interacted.

Lewis

Parker

The problem with 1k competitions is they teach bad practices, and the code is never readable. With an exe size restriction, you can still use comments and whitespace, since they're eliminated, but it would encourage people to use assembly to optimize their code and learn different algorithms for optimization and emitting small code.

Another idea is who could implement certain algorithms fastest. You'd decide on say, some type of sorting algorithm and see who can make the fastest code. It'd have to be judged on lots of different computers though to have good results.

Zen

Ok then, that sounds good. I remember the 1K on IBasic, i couldnt read the others code for toffee. I agree that a exe size challenge would be much better.

He He good old intel optimization reference manual ;)

Lewis

Parker

Yeah, now we're going to get entries like this:
#asm
    ; all my code's in asm to reduce size.
#endasm

Oh well, at least it shows that Aurora can use assembly...

Zen

lol. Well you can rest assure that my code will not be like that. You will be lucky if you see #asm in it.

Lewis