April 27, 2024, 03:53:46 PM

News:

IonicWind Snippit Manager 2.xx Released!  Install it on a memory stick and take it with you!  With or without IWBasic!

SQLite 3 or EB database library?

Started by JoaoAfonso, December 27, 2007, 04:42:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoaoAfonso

Ahoy.

I am digging databases for sometime, and worked alot with SQLite in CB. I did for sure some mistakes and that database didn't worked with the speed I would like (guess have to do with lots of persons connecting to SQLite, which is reduces much it's performance). Then I started learning more deep EB and it has it's own database library. My question is, between SQLite 3 or EB database library (SQL type), what will be the better solution for a database with many tables and entries, to be accessed and edited by many persons?

Thank you in advance.
JoÃÆ'ƒÂÃ,£o Afonso
Viriato
-----------------
Iberia MUD
www.iberiamud.com
iberiamud.com:5900

Brian

As far as I'm aware, SQLite isn't multi-user, unlike the Microsoft
MDB databases

Brian

JoaoAfonso

You saying Access databases are better and faster for multiusers? I run a phpbb forum in my server, and they say Access DB work fine but for few users at the same time, and point MySQL as the best one.
JoÃÆ'ƒÂÃ,£o Afonso
Viriato
-----------------
Iberia MUD
www.iberiamud.com

Brian

Joao,

I don't know about database speeds. One or the other will probably be quicker
at certain tasks. All I am aware of is that SQLite is not multi-user

Brian

barry

I haven't done much with SQL of any kind but I did take a course in programming and another course in optimizing SQL Server about 15 years ago for a project that I thought I would be involved in but wasn't.

Anyway, not knowing how to optimize in SQL can make huge differences in access speeds; much more than with other database.   I don't remember the details but I do remember that there were ways to create joins that seemed to make a lot of sense but that could make response times terribly slow.  And there were lots of other gotchas that also seemed to make sense till you knew better.

You may already know this but I thought I'd mention it in case you don't.

Barry

JoaoAfonso

I am waiting some other commands before decide using EB library or sqlite3 library... I won't change much of my previous code (I am trying to "upgrade" it and make it work faster).

By the way, another question: what is the best/fastest way to open a DB, show results and edit tables, but never closing DB to save time? My intention was do that and, lets say, each 10 minutes, save the DB.
JoÃÆ'ƒÂÃ,£o Afonso
Viriato
-----------------
Iberia MUD
www.iberiamud.com

Ionic Wind Support Team

Why not just use MySQL then?  They have an ODBC driver and I've used it with both Emergence and Aurora for local displays of remote database data. 

Paul

Ionic Wind Support Team

JoaoAfonso

I believe I am too green for using it. I guess I will base my program in database samples of EB, using mdb files. I am used to it.

But again the same question (sorry to bug once more): in SQLite it gave me some errors, but to save time opening and closing the DB file, am I able to open at the begining of the program and just save at the end? I pretend to do queries, updates, additions and deletions to tables while DB is open. Is this possible? (I had constant crashes with SQLite when I intended to do more than one update/add/delete in this system)
JoÃÆ'ƒÂÃ,£o Afonso
Viriato
-----------------
Iberia MUD
www.iberiamud.com

Ionic Wind Support Team

Yes it is very common to have the database connection "live" throughout the entire run of the program.  When you do an update the ODBC driver handles caching and concurrency.

The EB database commands are well tested, currently used in a big project I am involved with which is multiluser with hundreds of connections.

Paul.

Ionic Wind Support Team

REDEBOLT

Regards,
Bob

JoaoAfonso

Answered! I've started already coding with just EB database commands (using addressbook project as support).
Thank you
JoÃÆ'ƒÂÃ,£o Afonso
Viriato
-----------------
Iberia MUD
www.iberiamud.com