April 28, 2024, 10:57:12 PM

News:

IonicWind Snippit Manager 2.xx Released!  Install it on a memory stick and take it with you!  With or without IWBasic!

Thoughts and ideas.

Started by Barney, May 27, 2007, 02:45:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barney

Didn't want to ask this in Aurora's part of the forum so I've "cloned" Paul's thread here.

Now that Paul is back into programming, it would be nice to know what will happen to EBasic. Aurora is nice and I'll keep supporting it, but I also think there's a lot of us who would prefer to work in EBasic and consequently would like to know what's planned for the future. My suggestion would be to add 3D module to EBasic. I will gladly pay for it and I am sure there's a sizable number of potential EBasic 3D users who would do the same.

Any thoughts?

Barney

Ionic Wind Support Team

Hi Barney,
Always good to hear from you.

Yes I know 3D is important to a lot of folks.  Maybe I will get back into it myself.

Paul.
Ionic Wind Support Team

czoran

Hello everybody!

I would like to post here an idea which holds my thoughts lately.
How about we start offering some money for things we would like Paul to implement in near future? He can choose which idea wins based on his preference or readers votes.

I would like to pay $50 for better/full comport control. And another $50 for better/full printing control. I can send money immediately! Paul, is it OK?
Maybe it can sound shocking to readers, but how many of you need better tool, and want to pay some more money to get it?
Just look over Internet - how much money they charge for simple and stupid add-ons, plug-ins and similar?

Other candidates could be: native sqlite database, hashing/crypto functions, mediaplayer control, threads, xml...

Personaly, I do not think that 3D module would be of some use in EB. Too much job! I do not prefer messing with OOP either. Leave it to Aurora. Just a clean little powerful language to get job done with as few lines of code as possible.
Also, I do not think that Linux project is worth Paul's time until we see larger user community. Or maybe there are more than 5 people needing it and really wanting coding commandline utils?

Regards,
Zoran

Barney

Quote from: czoran on May 27, 2007, 04:10:50 PM
Personaly, I do not think that 3D module would be of some use in EB. Too much job! I do not prefer messing with OOP either. Leave it to Aurora. Just a clean little powerful language to get job done with as few lines of code as possible.
You probably did not have a chance to see how easy it was to do 3D in IBasic. Paul made one of the easiest to use 3D engines I've seen for a long time. That's just one of the reasons why I'd like to see it in EBasic. And OOP is already part of EBasic, a very welcome addition if I may say so. :)

Barney

LarryMc

Other candidates could be: ...   ... xml...

I'm working on the documentation for my "simple" xml library as we post.

Larry
LarryMc
Larry McCaughn :)
Author of IWB+, Custom Button Designer library, Custom Chart Designer library, Snippet Manager, IWGrid control library, LM_Image control library

Steven Picard

I think this is a good idea and one I recommended to Paul (via PM) a while ago.  What do others think about it?

Hello everybody!

I would like to post here an idea which holds my thoughts lately.
How about we start offering some money for things we would like Paul to implement in near future? He can choose which idea wins based on his preference or readers votes.

I would like to pay $50 for better/full comport control. And another $50 for better/full printing control. I can send money immediately! Paul, is it OK?
Maybe it can sound shocking to readers, but how many of you need better tool, and want to pay some more money to get it?
Just look over Internet - how much money they charge for simple and stupid add-ons, plug-ins and similar?

Other candidates could be: native sqlite database, hashing/crypto functions, mediaplayer control, threads, xml...

Also, I do not think that Linux project is worth Paul's time until we see larger user community. Or maybe there are more than 5 people needing it and really wanting coding commandline utils?

Regards,
Zoran

pistol350

Yeah!
I like this idea too!
And not keeping in mind the idea of a great amount of Job for Paul ,
i think that it is meanwhile a way to $ help him. ;)
cheers!
Regards,

Peter B.

mannybass

That's a good idea.

Here's what i'd like to see (in no particular order):

- xml, cgi/fastcgi, threads

- 3d command pack and other additions for game programming, like a resource packer, bitmap fonts

- some kind of EBasic/Aurora Web Toolkit like the 'Wt Web Toolkit' that exist for C++ (http://wipkip.irule.be/wt/?wtd=CK2cXNrXfxHfzRGq&js=yes&ajax=yes#example:0;main:0)

- better printing support or an easy to use report builder

- native database support

- additional courses ( multi user database applications, game specific ones ...)

Manny

talun

- A better editor (Scintilla?) similar to Aurora
- 3D module

bye

Sergio

Copex

May 28, 2007, 05:57:54 AM #9 Last Edit: May 28, 2007, 05:59:32 AM by Copex
A  U3  compatible version  ( see http://www.u3.com/developers/default.aspx & http://www.u3.com/developers/forum.aspx ) would be nice :-) 

also a win ce version that will compile for pda  & smart phones 
-
I really should learn how to use a spell checker! though im not sure how it will help someone who can not spell?
-
Except where otherwise noted, content Posted By Copex is
licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License

http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/

barry

I'd like 3D also.  I know very little about it but I'd like to.

I paid for the 3D pak beta in Ibasic but I don't know enough about 3D to get very far without real documentation so that was money down the tube.  I bought Ebasic because it was going to get a 3D command set even though I already had Ibasic.  I bought Aurora because it has 3D but I don't know much about oop and after playing with it I'm not sure I want to.

I'm sorry to be a complainer and I realize Paul has had problems and I sympathize, but I keep paying for 3D and I'd really like to get it.  I think it deserves a very high priority.  I really think we're owed some 3D in Ebasic.  And I think it'll be a bigger seller for Paul with it, too.

Barry

maurice1

Well I think a built-in 3d command set would be worth paying for as well as an updated code editor. As for the 3d command set would it be possible to read in common formats such as 3DS, MAX, DXF, DWG, OBJ etc?
Maurice

barry

Another thought just occurred to me.  I suspect a lot of people are like me, with little knowledge of 3D.  And maybe I'm not the only curious one.

Once Ebasic had 3D a class on 3D in Ebasic might be worthwhile.  I'd sure be interested.

Maybe now that you have some time, Paul, you could even do a class in 2D or a class in 3D with Aurora.  I'm not sure I'd be interested in the Aurora one but I might give it a try if it can make the oop part kind of simple.  Others might be very interested in this, though.

Barry

Jedive

The ColdSteel 3D engine is fully compatible with both Aurora and EBasic.

http://www.coldsteelengine.com/

maurice1

May 29, 2007, 09:30:55 PM #14 Last Edit: May 29, 2007, 09:34:28 PM by maurice1
Quote from: Jedive on May 29, 2007, 09:14:04 AM
The ColdSteel 3D engine is fully compatible with both Aurora and EBasic.

http://www.coldsteelengine.com/

No doubt this is a fine solution - thankyou for the info. However for amateur programmers it is much easier to use a built-in solution that can evolve with the core software IMO. I look at Thinbasic and its amazing 3d abilities and to quote someone I know "the bile of envy rises in my throat".  ;)  http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?p=78892&sid=6b8f88111cb4265d5fd12e993e3173ca

Also a litle bit of revenue Paul's way wouldn't be so bad.
Maurice

f4ktor

Networking - sending and receiving data over UDP and TCP. This is one of the most important things for me.