March 28, 2024, 09:23:25 AM

News:

Own IWBasic 2.x ? -----> Get your free upgrade to 3.x now.........

Alpha2 update 01/07/2006

Started by Ionic Wind Support Team, January 07, 2006, 01:07:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ionic Wind Support Team

The Aurora Alpha2 version has been updated.  Download from the link provided when purchasing.

Changes:
-----------
- Fixed the pointer deref bug that Parker found...which is the primary reason for the update ;)
- Included the missing dllstartup.o file so you can create DLL's.
- Included the missing resource and assembler dcoumentation.
- Add the advanced listview demo to the example programs.

Ionic Wind Support Team

Parker

I guess it never ends ;)
This update gave another bug.
The dictionary class I had complains with a typecast must be specified error on this line:
node->*key = key;
The original said *node.*key = key; since we didn't have -> at that time, the whole source is on these forums.

But other than that, all my other problems are working. Again, it's the (string) must be added problem.

Thanks for the quick update.

Ionic Wind Support Team

Maybe because your using a generic pointer in your node?  Written before we had defined pointers maybe?

struct DictNode
{
pointer key;
pointer value;
}

Would probably work if you did this:

struct DictNode
{
string *key;
pointer value;
}

Didn't try it yet. 
Ionic Wind Support Team

Parker

Yep, it works. I hadn't modified that code for a long time, and I don't know what was making it work before.

Thanks, nevermind that bug then ;)

Ionic Wind Support Team

No problem ;)

And it works more like it should now.  POINTER should be treated just like a void * pointer in C.  In my other languages we didn't have typed pointers so the compiler would 'guess' the type when the pointer was assigned something.  Forcing us to do things like:

pointer p
p = new(char,100)
settype p, STRING
#p = "hello"

Because the pointer would be given the type of 'char'.  Typed pointers are more readable and, now that they are working correctly with NEW, more usable.

string *p;
p = new(byte,100);
*p = "hello";

What I should do is remove that automatic type passing during assignment.  Forcing typecasting on void pointers.  It may eliminate future problems.

Ionic Wind Support Team

Parker

QuoteWhat I should do is remove that automatic type passing during assignment.  Forcing typecasting on void pointers.  It may eliminate future problems.

I'd have to agree there, when the compiler does hidden things like that, it makes it harder to find the bug. Even if it does require more typing.

John S

Paul,
just a quick comment/question here.  Would it be possible to update the "About" menu item on the IDE to reflect the release date & time of the alpha?  Or would it be possible to label it "Alpha 2.1"?  Or is this not the correct SOP for alpha releases.  Also is this an Alpha 2 of the compiler or just the IDE? 

I'm not trying to make your work any more difficult than it is.  Lord knows, I cannot hold a candle up to your programming skill.   I'm haven't even attempted a "Hello World" program in Aurora yet.   I've blown the dust off of my "Teach yourself C++" book and have wandered around the forum the last couple nights trying to get up enough nerve to try something.
John Siino, Advanced Engineering Services and Software

Ionic Wind Support Team

It is alpha 2 of the whole project.  An yes I can add more information to the about box, as long as I remember to update it each time ;)
Ionic Wind Support Team

rleon

I still have to buy me a C++ book, I only got Kernighan and Ritchie's The C Programming Language, which I think is excellent. Forcing us to use pointers as they should be used is great, thanks Paul!

Zen

Speaking of books. I found a website with a ton of e-books for programming, and yes... All free!!! There are a large selection of C, C++ and more.

I will dig out the link as its on my other machine.

Lewis

Parker

Somebody'll need to write a book about Aurora one of these days ;)

Zen

It would be good if we could write a book for Aurora.

Lewis