May 01, 2024, 10:52:05 AM

News:

Own IWBasic 2.x ? -----> Get your free upgrade to 3.x now.........

read data from the usb port

Started by John S, April 12, 2007, 07:11:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John S

Does anyone know how to read data from the usb port?

I have an electronic level device (ZipLevel) that stores elevation info onboard and I can read it via its LCD screen.  This process is somewhat tedious.  I would like to download the data to my computer. 

The ZipLevel has an onboard Ir transmitter and supposedly transmits data via simple ACSII characters (comma delimeted).  I have a IR/USB thingy that came with a presentation remote condrol and I'm wondering if I can use that to read the data off of the ZipLevel.

John Siino, Advanced Engineering Services and Software

LarryMc

for $149 ZipLevel has a serial adapter and software for doing that.

I know, I'd much perfer the low cost way if it can be dine.

Larry
LarryMc
Larry McCaughn :)
Author of IWB+, Custom Button Designer library, Custom Chart Designer library, Snippet Manager, IWGrid control library, LM_Image control library

John S

April 12, 2007, 07:24:13 PM #2 Last Edit: April 12, 2007, 09:33:01 PM by John S
As an alternate - would it be easier to build an IR-serial port device and use that?
I can buy the ZipLevel serial port device for $150.00US, but the DOS software doesn't work in WinXP (I spoke with a techguy and he said that the program works only intermittently with XP).  So I either boot DOS or write something for XP - I still have to write something.

edit: Thanks Larry for the input.

J B Wood (Zumwalt)

Stupid question probably, but you said the thing has a USB port connection (amazed it does by looking at the 1932 picture), what happens when you connect it to your PC? Do they have software that treats the onboard memory as USB external drive (like a USB thumb drive). This thing sounds ancient. I wasn't to impressed with what I saw on there site, but, if you can read the onboard memory like a USB hard drive then it all becomes simple.

John S

the CompuLevel unit is equipt with an IrD emitter to be used with a IrD receiver to RS232 serial cable.  I was wondering if I could build a IrD receiver to USB device (or use an off the shelf device) and write a small utility to read the data.

J B Wood (Zumwalt)

Doubt it, you would need to know how the receiver translates the incoming data, which they probably won't tell you.

John S

The IrD port is supposed to transmit plain ASCII numbers.  I have a schematic for a IrD-Serial adapter which I will build and test it out.