April 24, 2024, 07:09:45 AM

News:

Own IWBasic 2.x ? -----> Get your free upgrade to 3.x now.........

YA Aurora newbie with questions

Started by kentankerous, April 05, 2007, 08:49:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kentankerous

Just discovered Aurora â€ââ,¬Å" seems like a great language, but I have a few questions. I know it’s easy to say download the demo (I did) and see if you like it, but how does someone with limited programming experience really know the difference. My questions are:

1) For hobby programming is Aurora a good choice compared to say c#2005 Express, Liberty Basic, Free Basic or Python (or any of the other multitude of free or cost friendly programming options).

2) Is Aurora a better choice to grow the hobby into something a bit more (say producing small games and business apps)?

3) Is Aurora good to use for introducing/teaching sound programming skills to a 10 year old?

4) What does the future hold for Aurora â€ââ,¬Å" I purchased Ibasic pro about 3-4 years ago and it has now vanished from the scene. Is the Aurora user base large enough to support the language and its future development?

BTW, I have every intention of purchasing Aurora it just feels like the right thing to do ;)
Thanks in advance,
Ken

LarryMc

I've done very minimal programming with C and it was like pulling teeth for me.  VB always seemed a like it was too cluttered.
I used Liberty Basic and immediately switched to IBasic Pro when I discovered.
When Pyxia went feet up and I discovered Paul had started Aurora I immediately purchased it with every intention of learning it.

However OOP prograamming doesn't appear to be my cup of tea at my age.  But it can be used without using the OOP features.

Then Wa-lah.  Paul created EBasic.  It's IBPro and then some.  It suits me to a "T" based upon what I'm use to.  Paul has now added some OOP capabilities to it.

IMHO  Aurora aand EBasic are fantastic products and it boils down to what suits your fancy.

If yoou liked IBPro you will love EBasic.  And if you are comfortable with OOP then you can't help but love Aurora.

In both cases the way Paul has built the languages you can ease into just about everything.

And you can't beat Paul's customer service and all the help you can get on the forum.

I think you'll be extremely pleased whatever you decide.  And at the price you can go wrong in buying both of them.

Larry

LarryMc
Larry McCaughn :)
Author of IWB+, Custom Button Designer library, Custom Chart Designer library, Snippet Manager, IWGrid control library, LM_Image control library

kentankerous

Quote from: Larry McCaughn on April 05, 2007, 09:09:52 PM
And at the price you can go wrong in buying both of them.

I was actually thinking the same thing. Thanks for the insight.

Ken

J B Wood (Zumwalt)

THey are both great languages and easy to use.
I am a bit more of a hard core programmer myself and I truely love Aurora's ability to use pointers the way it does.
Remember, these are both physical languages that do not require the .Net framework to be installed on the target PC's for your programs to work, so there is a bonus :)

kentankerous

Quote from: Jonathan (zumwalt) Wood on April 05, 2007, 09:15:58 PM
Remember, these are both physical languages that do not require the .Net framework

I hear this quite a bit, is it that big a deal really, I wonder. Again, not having a hard core programming background but it seems that 1) most â€Ã...“typicalâ€Ã, end users don't know what's on the hard drive to begin with and if they have to install 20 megs of MS .Net framework most will not even realize it let alone care.

But I better stop on the .Net stuff I'm sure that topic has been around the block here more then once.  ;)

What do you mean by "physical languages"?

Thanks for the help,
Ken

Bruce Peaslee

I prefer Aurora to EBasic because of the classes and OOP. Others prefer EBasic.

You can get both right now at very reasonable prices and try them out. Paul is also offering online classes.
Bruce Peaslee
"Born too loose."
iTired (There's a nap for that.)
Well, I headed for Las Vegas
Only made it out to Needles

Haim

Aurora is great and so is Ebasic. The choice depends on your style and personal preference.
As for myself - I am not a proessionall programmer. i started with Ibasic pro a few years ago, and now I mainly use Aurora which I find more interesting to do things with.
Both Ebasic and Aurora serve me very well, and the support forum is fantastic!

I lately registered to an Aurora on-line course. Ther are also Ebasic courses available.

I highly recommend these products.
Haim

Zen

Vista comes with .NET 3.0 on it now anyway, but it is about 50mb for the redist for XP I think.

Lewis

Rock Ridge Farm (Larry)

I like Aurora - just starting Ebasic.
Have done a couple of work projects in Aurora.

mrainey

I really like the way EBasic makes it easy to put a large application inside a single file that will run without problems on any flavor of Windows.  My customers are showing a definite preference for portable applications over installer versions.
Software For Metalworking
http://closetolerancesoftware.com

kentankerous

Thanks for all the responses - much appreciated.

I placed an order for Aurora, the price was too good to pass up. Should I now be expecting a download link for the retail version or an unlock key for the demo?

Thanks again for the help.
Ken

PS Still considering EBasic as well.

sapero

Kentankerous, I try to explain why you should buy wit my poor English.
Long time ago, when I found IBasic Standard, I was a complete windows noob. I knew only 8-bit micro-computers, micro-controllers, and a small chunk of 16-bit gwbasic to use the LPT port.
Everything I've searched was to found on IBasic forum, and compiled fine with the demo software.
I've got a problem without answer, but forum posting was restricted only to registered users. I was 100% sure i get a reply, and buyed this product. From this time I got an excellent support.
So I think, I have buyed not the compiler, but this suport.
Every other programming forum blanks with hundreds of unanswered question, here you always find the ansver :)

kentankerous

Quote from: sapero on April 06, 2007, 05:37:22 PM
So I think, I have buyed not the compiler, but this suport.

Good point. One difficultly when learning anything new and challenging is finding the right help when you need it. These forums are a wonderful resource.

Ken