April 30, 2024, 11:48:31 PM

News:

Own IWBasic 2.x ? -----> Get your free upgrade to 3.x now.........

XML Parser

Started by LarryMc, March 31, 2007, 12:00:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LarryMc

I'll be glad to look at it whenever you can get me something.

Larry
LarryMc
Larry McCaughn :)
Author of IWB+, Custom Button Designer library, Custom Chart Designer library, Snippet Manager, IWGrid control library, LM_Image control library

LarryMc

CMxlLM V2.05 posted at http://www.ionicwind.com/forums/index.php/topic,1603.msg15670.html#msg15670

Fixes Douglas' latest problem(I hope ;)).

Problem with AddChildNode after having previously worked correctly.

Larry

LarryMc
Author of IWB+, Custom Button Designer library, Custom Chart Designer library, Snippet Manager, IWGrid control library, LM_Image control library

Dogge

Downloaded and tested, it works  ;D  ;D  ;D

Thanks for your help!!!

I'll let you know if i stumble upon something more

Thanks
/Douglas

LarryMc

CXmlLM V2.06 posted at
http://www.ionicwind.com/forums/index.php/topic,1603.msg15670.html#msg15670

Maint Release - fixed erratic problem when calling FileLoad and then immediately calling FileSave.

Larry

LarryMc

LarryMc

August 13, 2007, 09:12:04 AM #54 Last Edit: August 13, 2007, 09:16:33 AM by Larry McCaughn
Just discovered a problem associated with CData (data that perserves formatting via my WYSIWYG editor in an application I'm working on).

Haven't located the exact cause yet but it only happens when things are done in a specific order.

Until I I get the problem resolved I would suggest not using the CData option.

Also, I'm uploading a revised version of 2.06. (I put an old problem back in it...duhh!)

Edit:
If you downloaded ver 2.06 before August 13, 2007, 10:14:09 AM Central Time then you need to download it again.
LarryMc

dalescott

First, thanks Larry for the CXmlLM library. I'm a newbie, both with Emergence BASIC and with XML, so your library is a gift!

1. regarding the library limitations, are the limitations imposed purely by your library, or are any essentially imposed by the XML or higher-level standards? (e.g. tab and attribute names are case sensitive, acceptable characters for tag and attribute names, use of single and double-quotes, etc.). Without even knowing how much I don't know about HTML, SGML, XLS, DOM, GXL (the XML file format I'm specifically interested in for transfer of GPS-type data), etc., a sentence or two about the big picture would be great.

2. regarding the CXmlLM help file, I'd rather see the help viewer window title changed from "Online Help" to "CXmlLM Users Guide". It would me see more quickly which help window I'm looking at when I have multiple help files open (I'm a newbie!).

3. regarding use of the help file, I highlighted FileLoad from a source file in the Emergence Editor (e.g. "FileLoad" from the zz.FileLoad command in xmlExample_1.eba) and pressed F1. The CXmlLM help file is opened but seems to hang up. After some seconds, a dialog appears saying "There is not enough memory available for this task. Quick one or more programs to increase avaialble memory and then try again." Clicking OK kills both the help window and the Emergence BASIC IDE. Could this be caused by an indexing problem in the help file?

4. regarding the license, would you consider releasing the source under an appropriate license? As a newbie, I would very much appreciate being able to study and learn from the source. The LGPL v2.1+  would seem to fit the intent expressed in the Help file license statement - including being able to take a future version of CXmlLM proprietary again.

5. I read a GPX-format XML file into CXmlLM and wrote it back out for comparison. The Windows command utility "fc" says they're not the same and WinDiff loses sync after the first line. However, the two files (the input and output files) look the same in a text editor (exactly the same, which I also don't completely understand - I expected to see at least some header differences).  I don't even see any differences in the first 16 bytes in a hex editor. Any idea what's going on?

Thanks again for contributing the library, and I'm sure I'll have more questions later (I haven't actually parsed any data from my GPX file yet).
Dale

P.S. FYI, I'm using MS Vista (UAC disabled) on an HP laptop with an AMD Turion X2 and 4G memory.

LarryMc

1. imposed strictly by my stripped down version; for the most part
   From the forum posting:
QuoteMy library is not intended to replace MSxml4 for handling xml files.
I swapped ease of use and shortness of learning curve for all that extra functionality.
I feel my library will accomplish what 80%+ of EBasic users would want to do.

2. I'll make a note about the window title if I ever go back and update the library

3. I didn't build in any keyword searching of a source file for my library.  Don't even know if I know how to do that.

4. No.  You'd be better served, in my opinion, to study the regular version of XML if you're wanting to learn xml.
  Besides, I personally don't like the LGPL as it has to do with source code.  It opens up the whole bucket of worms for policing what are derivative works.  I don't want to deal with it at all.

5. There is no warranty whatsoever that my library will read properly any xml file NOT created with my library.  So the same goes for it reading in an alien XML file and spitting the contents back out verbatium.  That's why I posted the big red warning at the bottom of the limitations page in the help file.  On the other hand I think other parsers should have little or no trouble reading xml files created with my library.  But if other parsers modify one of the xml files created with my lib then the xml becomes alien to my lib and may not be read properly by my lib.
Note, looking at two different xml files in a "text" edit is not the way to "see" if they are identical.  Hidden escape sequences don't show up.

The question really is whether or not the alien xml was "clean" enough for my lib to capture the salient information properly.
The 'apparently' identical files read with a text editor might be telling you it did.
Even if it did capture the info properly; the file you generated from the data with my lib won't neccessarily be able to be read by the program that created the original GPS file.

Hope that helps

Larry

Remember, my library is a Ford model T.
It provides adequate transportation for the majority of users at a resonable price.
If you want the Maserati in order to have the best of everything then pay the price for that; it's available out there. ;)
LarryMc

dalescott

Thanks Larry for the feedback. I'm going to spend more time with your library. Hopefully it will work for my basic 80/20 needs. If it gets crazy, I might try reading the GPX schema and compare it against the listed CXmlLM limitations. At least I'll know more about what's going on before looking further (should I have to).

Dale