March 28, 2024, 07:23:00 AM

News:

Own IWBasic 2.x ? -----> Get your free upgrade to 3.x now.........

Where to start

Started by Bruce Peaslee, February 11, 2007, 09:32:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruce Peaslee

I know very little about Linux but would like to participate. I have an old laptop with "Pentium III" and "Designed for Windows 98" stickers. I was going to sell it off, but I think now I could install Linux on it instead.

What's the easiest (or best) way to do this?
Bruce Peaslee
"Born too loose."
iTired (There's a nap for that.)
Well, I headed for Las Vegas
Only made it out to Needles

Ionic Wind Support Team

What kind of laptop?  Does it have a CDROM drive?
Ionic Wind Support Team

Bruce Peaslee

Quote from: Paul Turley on February 11, 2007, 09:33:41 AM
What kind of laptop?  Does it have a CDROM drive?

Compag Presario 1800 with CDROM, but it doesn't burn CDs. My desktop can. It's own internal hard drive is small, only 5 gigs.
Bruce Peaslee
"Born too loose."

Ionic Wind Support Team

5 gigs isn't a lot of space but it is doable.  I run Ubuntu on a 6.4GB drive here.

If you don't want to waste time burning CD's you can request free Ubuntu CD's from here:

https://shipit.ubuntu.com/

The CD's contain the 6.06LTS version, which is easily upgradable to 6.10 once you have it installed.
Ionic Wind Support Team

Bruce Peaslee

I can try burning a CD. Shouldn't be much harder than CDs I burn for my car stereo system  ;)

The download is long so I'll let it go while I take my shower (yes, it's late, but I'm retired!).
Bruce Peaslee
"Born too loose."

Jerry Muelver

Bruce, be sure to get the Unofficial Guide:
http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Ubuntu_Edgy

While it has its critics, I found it invaluable.

Brice Manuel

February 11, 2007, 04:33:49 PM #6 Last Edit: February 11, 2007, 04:39:25 PM by Brice Manuel
Bruce:  Amazon has several books on Ubuntu.  I bought all I could find, and I think I ended up with something like seven of them.  Some were aimed at beginners, some intermediate and some advanced.  I figured by getting all of them, I should keep myself covered as my skills grow.

Bruce Peaslee

I burned the CD. It will run from the CD, but takes forever. I would like to replace XP on the laptop with Linux, but it won't install - it just hangs.
Bruce Peaslee
"Born too loose."

Rock Ridge Farm (Larry)

February 14, 2007, 09:57:39 AM #8 Last Edit: February 14, 2007, 09:59:21 AM by Rock Ridge Farm (Larry)
Some laptops have issues with interupts and PCI/PCMCIA.
There should be options at the boot screen for such things.
I will look later for the options.

Sbleck

Hi,

You could try CenOS (http://www.centos.org/), also.  It is based 100% on (sources of) Red Hat but without references (logos) to Red Hat.  It is VERY stable and reliable, and could be used to install Oracle databases too, because Oracle approved only Red Hat and Suse distros...

I installed a single server in one 2Gb Hard disk.  CentOS have all the ISOs you need.  You effort in only download what you need, build the CDs and install...

Sven

Rock Ridge Farm (Larry)

IRQPOLL NOAIPC NOLAIPC ACPI=OFF PCI=NOACPI NOACPI
That's the one - it turns off PCI interrupts.

Bruce Peaslee

Thanks, guys, we'll give it a go!
Bruce Peaslee
"Born too loose."

Jerry Muelver

Bruce, I had a problem installing the Server version of Ubuntu on my laptop to upgrade from Dapper Drake to Edgy Eft, so I tried with the Alternate version, and it went through without a hitch. It's another option....

Rock Ridge Farm (Larry)

You will also need to modify the boot script to include the same option.
Another thing to turn off is hotplug - it hangs on HP laptops.