April 28, 2024, 07:16:38 AM

News:

Own IWBasic 2.x ? -----> Get your free upgrade to 3.x now.........

Slowdown?

Started by LarryMc, February 15, 2007, 07:36:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LarryMc

For some reason all my database programs started running super slow.  The slow part is reading the dbase file and loading comboboxes or listviews.  It's a 10 order of magnitude slowdown.

Thing is it is true for both IBasic and EBasic compiled programs.
When the programs are running they use almost no CPU time but they are still slow.

Has anyone run into anything like that in the past.

The only thing I have done since the last time I know everything was running correctly was:
Added 1gig of additional RAM
added another internal hard disk which doesn't have anything on it associated with the database programs.

LarryMc
Larry McCaughn :)
Author of IWB+, Custom Button Designer library, Custom Chart Designer library, Snippet Manager, IWGrid control library, LM_Image control library

Ionic Wind Support Team

Speed mismatch on the ram?  Adding a UDMA hard disk to a non UDMA ide connector?

If your using Windows 9x then 1GB or more ram won't work correctly  as the OS can only address 768MB.  I have seen that cause problems.
Ionic Wind Support Team

LarryMc

xp sp2 3Gig machine (dell)
Ram 1Gig I added has same speed as the 256Meg I left in

My primary and add-on hard disk are both the serial type (not eide).
LarryMc
Author of IWB+, Custom Button Designer library, Custom Chart Designer library, Snippet Manager, IWGrid control library, LM_Image control library

Ionic Wind Support Team

Try taking out the 256meg chip.  I have seen mismatched sizes of ram cause problems on certain motherboards, depends on the ram controller.

After building about 1500 PC's you learn a trick or two ;)
Ionic Wind Support Team

LarryMc

I'll try it after I get back from the Dr.  Gotta go get a heart monitor and wear it for 24 hours(yet again). Tomorrow I get an ultrasound on my heart(also yet again).

LarryMc

GJ

Both harddisks on same ide-cable ?
master and slave settings drive ?

if you take out the ide-cable from the new hddrive, creating back "the old situation", do you still have the same problem ?

just some thoughts... hope you'll get it fixed soon  ;)

GJ

Dennisc

QuoteGotta go get a heart monitor and wear it for 24 hours(yet again). Tomorrow I get an ultrasound on my heart(also yet again).

Quotejust some thoughts... hope you'll get it fixed soon 

And hopefully yourself as well - Good Luck! :)
Failure is only the opportunity to begin again more intelligently
www.denniscomninos.com

LarryMc

GJ said:
QuoteBoth harddisks on same ide-cable ?
No ide cables.  Each has its own serial cable to the mother board; but that wasn't it anyway.

I removed the 256Meg chip and left the 1gig in and I'm back to proper speed.  Wierd, since according to the specs the memory sticks were suppose to be the same speed.

This was actually the 2nd problem with updating memory.
Bought the 1gig at Circuit City, got it home and installed it and my computer wouldn't do anything but blue screen.
Called Kingston(manf) and they FedEx'd me a new one without any hassle at all; put it in and it worked.  Had to send the bad one to them, free shipping.

I wish all customer service was like I got from Kingston (and like what we get from Paul).

The heart thing is not a case of trying to fix anything; it's a matter of trying to keep it from getting any worse.

Thanks for the help and the thoughts, guys. ;D
LarryMc

tbohon

Larry:

Glad you got it resolved - I've had memory problems and they're a real PITB to troubleshoot.

Positive thoughts coming at you re: the health issue ... !

Tom
"If you lead your life the right way, the karma will take care of itself ... the dreams will come to you."  -- Randy Pausch, PhD (1961-2008)