April 23, 2024, 04:49:21 AM

News:

IonicWind Snippit Manager 2.xx Released!  Install it on a memory stick and take it with you!  With or without IWBasic!

Aurora or Emergence?

Started by aeon, January 19, 2007, 12:51:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aeon

Hi

I used to hang out in iBasic days but have been invisible for quite a time! I have been using iBasic standard in the last few days to upadate a very small browser application with a few minimal controls (toggle keep window on top / resize & position window / 'back' / 'home'). I use it to teach kids when I want them to have some notes alongside whatever else they are doing.

I was thinking of a bit of an update perhaps with an irregular shaped skin and longer term perhaps with some other features such as messaging between clients.

I am not especially familiar with iBasic syntax in all honesty. Never got in to Pro as my projects were in Standard. My 'usual' stomping ground is PHP. OKish with Javascript. My question is - should I think of upgrading to Emergence or to Aurora? I would ideally like to find someone who might help with this either for small payment to do part of the code or perhaps it is a fit with another project. Even if someone else were to do any compplex stuff I would like to be able to contribute and do not really want to learn two languages.

Any thoughts? Based on a) my PHP leanings  b) Capabilities and c) chances of input from others?

Thanks

Rod

Based on the background you've described, plus my own experiences with a multitude of Basic's, PHP, C, Java, Powerbuilder, and a tiny bit of Aurora, I think you would be more comfortable with Emergence Basic. There are lots of kind folks here who will help you learn it. Coming from IBasic Std, the EB syntax will look more familiar to you. Aurora would look more familiar if your background is C, C++, or Java, although it is NOT just another implementation of any of those languages.

Steven Picard

I think you might be more comfortable with Aurora if you are comfortable with Javascript.  JMHO.  ;)

Parker

Aurora was my thought too when you said PHP and Javascript. For you it probably comes down to do you want to do things procedurally or with OOP?

Zen

Hi

If you do OOP im PHP and javascript, especially more modern PHP that is more class based then you should pick up Aurora Fine. I did PHP and still do and found the syntax was so easy to pick up and the language on a whole is great.

Lewis

aeon

Slightly split opinions but the clear majority in favour of Aurora given my background.

I have started taking a quick look and played a little with the example browser. I think I could cope with its approach well enough and just seeing classes and functions with curly brackets looks somehow comforting.

One very basic question that may indicate total stupidity on my part - Where is word-wrap when using the editor? Annoying to scroll along long lines of code...

Are there any skinned window examples hereabouts?

Ionic Wind Support Team

Generally code editors don't word wrap.  Bad for compilers ;)

Aurora uses the same terminator C does, so yo can spread instructions over multiple lines as all returns are ignored.  Lines terminate with the ; character.

So if you have a long line that you dont want to scroll just break it up.

SomeLongFunction("this function", pi, greasy_chicken, IDD_DONOVAN | IDD_SNOW| IDD_RAIN | IDD_OPEN_WITH_SANDWICH, NULL, NULL);

is the same as:

SomeLongFunction("this function",
   pi,
   greasy_chicken,
   IDD_DONOVAN | IDD_SNOW| IDD_RAIN | IDD_OPEN_WITH_SANDWICH,
   NULL,
   NULL);

Ionic Wind Support Team

aeon

Thanks Paul

No skinning examples as yet?

BTW Avoid taking that SomeLongFunction with chips (fries to you left-pond-siders) - could send the cholesterol into overdrive  ;)

Ionic Wind Support Team

Vikki used to have some skinning examples in my old language, which could be converted easily enough to Emergence or Aurora. 
Ionic Wind Support Team