April 20, 2024, 08:03:07 AM

News:

IonicWind Snippit Manager 2.xx Released!  Install it on a memory stick and take it with you!  With or without IWBasic!

Succesful EBasic port

Started by Dennisc, December 17, 2006, 01:35:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dennisc

Woke up this morning determined to start using EBasic. I own IBasic Std and Pro, Aurora, and EBasic. All my apps are in IB Std and for various reasons, I never got round to getting into Pro. For punishment, I decided to convert my most complex and one of the largest of my IB Std apps.

I ran the IB Std source through the StdtoPro converter (remember it?) and compiled it under EBasic. Tons of error messages all very valid. Spent some time sorting them out. Definitely not time wasted as clearing up some of the errors also cleared up some deficencies in my code. :-[ :-[

In all spent about an hour doing the port and now have a fully working app under EBasic with just a couple of cosmetic bugs here and there (again caused by my poor coding).ÂÃ,  After 40 years of programming and now semi-retired, I am entitled to code poorly (as someone else also pointed out on this forum ;) ;))

Thanks Paul for all 4 the products - they've never let me down......

Now need to look and play with some of the EBasic specifics......
Regards
Dennis
Failure is only the opportunity to begin again more intelligently
www.denniscomninos.com

GWS

Well done Dennis .. there are a few tricky changes to get IBStandard to EBasic functionality ..ÂÃ,  :)

best wishes,

Graham
Tomorrow may be too late ..

Dennisc

QuoteWell done Dennis

Thanks Graham. I wonder if other ex-IB'ers still have the StdtoPro Converter? If not, they can email me and I will get the version I have to them (if that's OK with the ex-members of the IBDev group).

Regards
Dennis
www.denniscomninos.com

GJ

Hi Dennis,

I'm trying the same, converting from IB Standard to EBasic, also having same kind of problems  :D
I'm wondering if your converted program works better/faster in Ebasic as if it  did in Ibasic Standard, and how many lines the app was.
( I'm asking this because i want to port over my business app of +10000 lines , which will take some time...)

Regards,

Gertjan (GJ)

Dennisc

Hi Gertjan
Have responded to you on the CM forum.
Regards
Dennis
www.denniscomninos.com

GJ

Thanks Dennis, just read them ... back to porting the old apps  ;)

GJ

Junner2003

I tried that IBSTDtoPRO thing a few times and decided for my part that it is even easier to copy the STD code in an IBASIC PRO / EBASIC window and make the changes manually. You will be surprised: it does not take longer than running that STDtoPRO script and try to find the errors afterwards :)

Well,
another reason why I do it is because of I need to learn the syntax therefor it might be better for me not to use that converter script.

BTW:
I enjoyed the autocoder script on STD - I wish there would be a version for EBASIC - that would be great! :)