April 25, 2024, 02:20:25 AM

News:

Own IWBasic 2.x ? -----> Get your free upgrade to 3.x now.........

release of Aurora?

Started by friet, December 21, 2006, 09:44:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

friet

Hi All,

With all the commotion around Ebasic...it seems Aurora has been put in the fridge
Altough it looked like it was almost ready for prime time...  There has been no update messaging for it lately...

My own reason to ask, is tha I'd like to buy Aurora when its released.  (I do mean the final 1.0 version, not the Beta versions)...I tought it was only a matter of prepping the documentation (but I can be wrong of course)

Anyone care to comment on that?   

Cheers,

Frank

Zen

Frank. Aurora is still here and there are no plans for it to go anywhere. I am not sure what Paul is working on for Aurora at the moment but I know he won't just leave it to go cold.

Ohh and... Buy Aurora now as there may be a price increase when it comes out of beta ;)

Lewis

J B Wood (Zumwalt)

As far as I am aware, its down to the docs.
Probably a few final touches to it, but the docs need more info before it can be released.
I have been to burried to help with the Docs myself, which is bad on my part, but I can't help it with the Hollidays.

Kale

Bringing Aurora to a final release is one of Paul's biggest goals and the only thing i can think off thats holding that up is the documentation. It's a massive job, but i think it's very nearly done. :)

Bruce Peaslee

As I recall, January is the target.

Both Paul and I have good deals on purchases. There really is no reason to wait.
Bruce Peaslee
"Born too loose."
iTired (There's a nap for that.)
Well, I headed for Las Vegas
Only made it out to Needles

Ionic Wind Support Team

Both products are being worked on simultaneously.  Aurora has about 10 times the documentation load as Emergence though and that is the only holdup for RC1.  That and a few more good example programs.

The goal with Emergence was to create a compiler that was syntax compatible with IBasic with a lot of the features we put into Aurora. And it is nearly where I wanted it.

Then, of course, there is cross feature additions.   John P was so insistant about 5D arrays in Emergence that I added them and created a release for it.  Can't leave that out of Aurora so had to add it there as well.

And finally, sound.  Neither language had good sound capabilities without using external libraries.  So I have been spending a lot of time converting C++ examples to Aurora and building a DirectSound library.  The conversion of dsound.inc and the COM changes in Emergence were to facilitate the new sound library in that language as well. 

Aurora, base code wise, is complete for a 1.0 release.  Has been for a while.  I can only type so fast though ;)

Paul.
Ionic Wind Support Team

J B Wood (Zumwalt)

My hat is off to Paul.
So is my hair :)
The compiler is done, its the docs.
Even with typing 150 wpm, its finding the time to help is the problem.

Barney

Good professional docs can take months (if not years) to produce, so I take my hat off, too, to Paul who is doing it. Writing docs is probably harder than writing a compiler, at least in my book it is.

Barney

Doc

...and not to overlook the fact that the bombshell release of EBasic was a stroke of pure marketing savvy that will be good for both products for years to come.  ;)

-Doc-