April 28, 2024, 08:02:29 PM

News:

Own IWBasic 2.x ? -----> Get your free upgrade to 3.x now.........

Cheetah database

Started by GJ, December 15, 2006, 08:19:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GJ

I'm using the wrapper provided on the homepage of Paul Squires Cheetah database for Ibasic Standard.
Now i would like to move my code over to Ebasic, that is if i can get the database going...
Is there a way of accessing this DLL using an include file for Ebasic ?? 
Any suggestions are welcome

Regards,

Gertjan (GJ)

J B Wood (Zumwalt)

Got any links to download the database and dll?
I can take a stab at it.

GJ

J B Wood (Zumwalt)

I don't see his ibasic plug, but, I can probably do something about that.
Looking at it now.

Steven Picard

GJ

Yes, that's the one i use with Ibasic standard.
If you scrolldown that page, you see also the Aurora wrapper.
I was hoping that this wrapper could be used for Ebasic also, maybe needing some modifying..
If i can skip all those declares i have in Ibasic Standard , and can use an include file for that, making it easier to code
certain pieces, it would make my day  ;)

GJ

Steven Picard

J B Wood (Zumwalt)

Use this, don't forget to create the import library:
I used the 0.2 release of the cheetah dll, which is version 2.5.4.0
To create an import library simply click on Tools, Create Import Library, and choose the Cheetah2.dll

Now in your source file add:
$include "ECheetah.src"

And have this src file in your folder that you are making your application in.
Hopefully it will work for you.
I haven't made any demo application that uses it, this is just a raw conversion, untested.
Since you know cheetah, please let me know if I need to make changes.

GJ

Gonna try that, thank you for your quick answers.
When it works, i'll let you know on this forum.

Regards,

GJ

J B Wood (Zumwalt)

I forgot to add this to the top of the src file:

$use "Cheetah2.lib"

Barney

Guys, just remember that there are two versions of Cheetah database. The original one, which is now free is available from Planetsquires site and the new one, which is open source and is available here. I don't think they are compatible.

IBPro works perfectly with the old version of Cheetah, so there's no reason why EBasic should not do the same.

Barney

LarryMc

Sounds like a good opportunity to use the database features of EBasic to me. ;)
LarryMc
Larry McCaughn :)
Author of IWB+, Custom Button Designer library, Custom Chart Designer library, Snippet Manager, IWGrid control library, LM_Image control library

DominiqueB

December 15, 2006, 04:53:55 PM #12 Last Edit: December 15, 2006, 05:15:33 PM by DominiqueB
Hello,
for every one: i ported the IBcheat.zip wrapper arround Cheetah database.
included .exe, .inc and 3 samples translated to EBasic.
Don't forget to download Cheetah2.dll from here:
http://planetsquires.com/files/CheetahDatabase.zip
and to create the 2 import lib from the tools'ide menu: one for Cheetah2.dll and one for IBcheat.dll

Hope it helps every one to realy see the power of EBasic . . .

Dominique

(modified .zip attached to get it work on current path, to try run .exe first:
IBIntro1.exe it creates the database to let other .exe use the datas)

Barney

For the old dBase die hards Cheetah or Tsunami are far superior to the ODBC solution implemented within EBasic. FOr other database types I'd use EBasic built in database stuff.

Barney

Paul Squires

From a programming standpoint, the open source Cheetah is far superior to the freeware version. Granted, the open source version still needs a lot of work however the new indexes in the open source version are vastly superior to the original Cheetah freeware indexes. Actually, the new indexes are even faster than PowerBASIC's PTree product (which I thought were the fastest around). The open source version is also trying to implement many of the Visual FoxPro data types in addition to the traditional dBase types. Like everything in life, I just can't seem to find enough free time to develop Cheetah on a regular basis. I only have the Visual Basic interface partially finished (it needs unicode conversions).

Paul Squires
http://www.planetsquires.com
FireFly Visual Designer, SQLitening Database System, JellyFish Pro Editor

GJ

Thank you all for these valuable answers

@Paul, i needed the multi-use function of the freeware Cheetah, when it's implemented in the open source it would be great ;-))

GJ

GJ

Ran across this tool at http://www.kazmax.co.uk/Software.aspx , called Dbdesign for use with Cheetah databases
Uses also the ddoc.dll for print preview as described in another thread....
Best of all it's FREE, you can register with the Free License serialnumber  ;)

Regards,

Gertjan (GJ)