April 23, 2024, 06:01:44 AM

News:

Own IWBasic 2.x ? -----> Get your free upgrade to 3.x now.........

Shorter lines in output window

Started by barry, December 12, 2006, 05:09:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

barry

Because path names ae sometimes very long in XP could we have file names without full path names in the output window?  Or at least an option for that.

I have a 1280x1024 monitor and sometimes it's hard to view error messages even with the IDE maximized.  And I prefer not to have it maximized.  Here's a typical output line:

File: C:\Documents and Settings\Compaq_Owner\My Documents\Ebasic\Words\WordSearch.eba (10) undefined variable - word5

It could give the path first and then again every time there is a new path and then put the error messages on new lines following the file name.  Or we might have an option to have file names only since most of the time we only need that.

I realize this isn't a big thing but it sure would make things a lot easier most of the time.

Thanks,
Barry

Bruce Peaslee

This would also be useful for those Aurora programmers who haven't figured out how to write bug-free code.  ;)
Bruce Peaslee
"Born too loose."
iTired (There's a nap for that.)
Well, I headed for Las Vegas
Only made it out to Needles

Ionic Wind Support Team

You can scroll the window, even move it and dock it above the project window so it is full width.  Also when you double click on it the file is opened to that line, so it needs the complete path to it.  But I will think on it a bit.
Ionic Wind Support Team

barry

You're correct that I can scroll.  The problem isn't really that I can't find a way to see the messages.  It's just that when I'm focusing on the program it's nice not to be distracted by the quirks of the IDE.  That's pretty much been the focus of my complaint type messages.

Don't misunderstand.  Overall I like the IDE.  I don't need or want a lot of features and this has pretty much the ones I want and it's not cluttered and for the most part I don't have to think about it.  I realize that I'm nit-picking.  But nits are sometimes worth picking. :)

Barry

Mike Stefanik

The Windows Shell API has a function called PathCompactPath which can be used to compact a path for display purposes. You'd typically use it in conjunction with ExtTextOut (it requires a device context and the width of the window that you're using).
Mike Stefanik
www.catalyst.com
Catalyst Development Corporation