March 29, 2024, 01:42:47 AM

News:

IonicWind Snippit Manager 2.xx Released!  Install it on a memory stick and take it with you!  With or without IWBasic!

Build>Compile and Execute menu dimmed

Started by paravantis, December 10, 2006, 02:38:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

paravantis

Paul,

Although I have NOT yet tried update 1.55, I am somewhat belatedly reporting a bug in the IDE.

Occasionally, the "Build>Compile and Execute" menu is dimmed when it SHOULD NOT be. To get around that, I have to use "Build>Build Single", which is annoying.

I have not been able to tell WHEN this happens. Most of the time I have been compiling a program a few times and then, out of the blue, when I try to recompile, the Compile and Execute menu is dimmed out.

Will report back based on my experience with version 1.55. In the meantime, it would be great if other users report any similar experiences.

John

paravantis

Absent-minded me.

I forgot to report that the "Build>Compile" menu is ALSO (occasionally) dimmed!

I just opened a file with my brand new eBasic 1.55 (by double clicking on the name of the file) and, voila, the Compile menu is dimmed, right off the bat when the program starts. Funny thing, "Compile and Execute" is NOT dimmed but "Compile" is!

Paul, I am hoping you will NEVER make it difficult for users to be able to compile a SINGLE source file, without having to go through the hustle of creating an entire project.

Again, other users may be inclined to report their experiences so that we may confirm that it is an IDE bug and Paul may act on it.

John

Zen

Build->Compile->Execute is only available after a successfull compile and aslong as you dont't delete the .opts file after compiling. No bug.

Lewis

paravantis

No files were ever deleted.

Is it NORMAL for the Build>Compile menu to EVER be dimmed? You are asking for eBasic to compile a single source file from scratch!

I am NOT talking about the Compile and Execute menu, I am talking about the COMPILE only menu. I would think, this item should NEVER be dimmed.

Am I missing something?

John

Vikki

When compiling a single source file why not use Build>Build Single?

Zen

Everything runs fine here and im not aware of anyone else having a PROBLEM just YOU!

Lewis

GWS

I think what John is querying is why 'Compile - F5' is only made available for files in a project.

I'm not sure why it is not available for just a single file.ÂÃ,  I've never used it myself - I always just press F8 - but I can see it would be useful just to check out a modified single file for errors .. I always have lots of those ..ÂÃ,  :)

Graham
Tomorrow may be too late ..

Barney

December 10, 2006, 09:56:42 AM #7 Last Edit: December 10, 2006, 09:58:22 AM by Barney
O.K. Let's look at it calmly and in an orderly fashion.

====================

First let's just open the EBasic IDE without opening any files at the same time and let's look at the status of the menu entries and toolbar buttons:

Menu: Build->Compile is dimmed
Menu: Build->Compile and Execute is not in the menu
Menu: Build->Build Single is not in the menu

Toolbar: "Compile & Execute" is dimmed
Toolbar: "Execute" is dimmed
Toolbar: "Make executable  can be clicked but does not open the dialog.

This behaviour is acceptable because we don't have any source files open so there's nothing to compile

====================

Let's open one file now. Make sure that the file does not have corresponding .opts file, so kill the .opts file if necessary.

Menu: Build->Compile and Execute is not in the menu
Menu: Build->Build Single is active

Toolbar: "Compile & Execute" is dimmed
Toolbar: "Execute" is dimmed
Toolbar: "Make executable is active

This is also O.K. It's logical that we cannot click on "Compile" item in the menu as we did not setup the compilation parameters. This is done in the dialog box opened with either the "Build Single" menu item or "Make executable" toolbar button.

====================

Now we need to make the executable, which will also create .opts file. After that we need to close the source file window and leave and restart the IDE. Once empty IDE is opened, let's open our already compiled file and let's take a look at the menu and toolbar status:

Menu: Build->Compile & Execute is active
Menu: Build->Build Single is active

Toolbar: "Compile & Execute" is active
Toolbar: "Execute" is active
Toolbar: "Make executable is active

Menu item "Compile" is dimmed, which can be considered as wrong because we may want to only compile the file without executing it. We can, of course, get that behaviour by using "Buld Single" menu item but just selecting the "Compile" would be easier and more logical as it would not involve the build dialog, which appears if we use "Build Single" menu item.

So. Basically the way IDE behaves is not necessarily erroneous but it may cause some confusion to the users, especially when we note that there is no correspondence between the "Compile" menu item and toolbar buttons. My advice would be to either add another "Compile (only)" toolbar button and lit/dim the "Compile" menu item appropriately, or just get rid of the "Compile" menu item alltogether.

I must add that this text is valid only for single files. Compile is actually working as advertised when compiling projects. Perhaps that is what is causing the confusion...

That's my $0.02

Barney

Ionic Wind Support Team

December 10, 2006, 10:17:20 AM #8 Last Edit: December 10, 2006, 10:22:51 AM by Paul Turley
It works the same as IBasic Pro did which never really confused anyone.  Back then single file compiling mode was an addition demanded by Idigicon.  Which is why the real power of the IDE is only apperent when using projects, which is what its primary design is all about.

The "Comipile" and "Rebuid All" menu options are for projects only.  You may have thousands of source files and only want to compile the changes in one to check for errors.

The execute menu will be dimmed if you haven't create the executable yet, makes sense right?, or if you have made changes and have errors in your code, in which case the old executable has been deleted during the attempt to build.

All of which is explained in the users guide of course.  See the sections "IDE Topics" -> "single file compiling" and "Using projects"
Ionic Wind Support Team

Zen

All of which is explained in the users guide of course.  See the sections "IDE Topics" -> "single file compiling" and "Using projects"

It makes me laugh when people start getting excited when they don't read the manual first :D

Lewis

Mike Stefanik

Mike Stefanik
www.catalyst.com
Catalyst Development Corporation

Bruce Peaslee

Bruce Peaslee
"Born too loose."
iTired (There's a nap for that.)
Well, I headed for Las Vegas
Only made it out to Needles

Barney