April 23, 2024, 06:56:38 PM

News:

IonicWind Snippit Manager 2.xx Released!  Install it on a memory stick and take it with you!  With or without IWBasic!

Did the license to NASM changed?

Started by MikeHart, December 06, 2006, 02:05:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeHart

Paul,

can someone release/publish a modified version of NASM without releasing the sources?

I thought that NASM is LesserGPL and a modified version has to ship with the sources.

Ionic Wind Support Team

No.  But the license states that you have to provide the sources if requested.  I just happened to not include them in the installation because of the size.  You can have them if you want.

Trying to cause problems again Mike? 
Ionic Wind Support Team

MikeHart

No, I thought you have to provide the sources. If wanted to cause you trouble, I would have said nothing and just reported you to the FSF.

Ionic Wind Support Team

Actually I will probably just provide a link to download them separately, The LGPL states it can be in any transmission medium.  Just trying to save the users the headache of a huge sized download, especially for poor Jerry as he is still on dialup in Wisconsin ;) 
Ionic Wind Support Team

J B Wood (Zumwalt)

Frankly its not something I would use or care to get, so I am glad its not in the Distro.
A link would satisfy Mikes question though I would think.

Zen

Yes a download link would be much better ;)

Lewis

Jerry Muelver

Quote from: Paul Turley on December 06, 2006, 09:32:08 PM
Actually I will probably just provide a link to download them separately, The LGPL states it can be in any transmission medium.  Just trying to save the users the headache of a huge sized download, especially for poor Jerry as he is still on dialup in Wisconsin ;) 
No problem. I just have to be patient, sometimes, like when downloading the Ubuntu Eager Eft distro Server and Alternative CD images.... It only took 11 days.... for each image....  ::)

Zen

Barney

Quote from: Jerry Muelver on December 07, 2006, 05:39:24 AM
No problem. I just have to be patient, sometimes, like when downloading the Ubuntu Eager Eft distro Server and Alternative CD images.... It only took 11 days.... for each image....  ::)
Next time you need ubuntu or something of similar size send me a PM and I'll download it and send it on a CD to you. Even sending it from the other side of the world (Croatia) you'll still get it faster than through a dial-up (shudder).  ;D

Barney

Rod

Jerry: Put me on your list of volunteers, along with Barney, to send you large downloads on a CD.

Zen

Yep me too if you so wish. Maybe we could download an Image each (if its more than one). I've got 10mb broadband at work so its almost instant ;)

Lewis

Alyce

Jerry already knows I'll download and burn stuff to CD for him -- and he lives just up the pike from me. I think he's PROUD of that dialup... gives him something to boast about. (And he has access to high speed close by, anyway.) Jerry, you've been outed. ÂÃ,  ::)

-Alyce

Jerry Muelver

Thanks, gang. I really appreciate your concern and intended generosity. Alyce is right -- I can get to a DSL connection a few miles away for those monster downloads when I need them, especially for the CD image stuff. When Ubuntu wants to update some software packages for 10 or 15 meg, I simply let it run when I go to bed. Heck, if this stuff was fast and easy, every kid on the block would be getting into it! .... Um.... Wait a minute. That's just what's happening, isn't it?  ::)