March 29, 2024, 08:02:41 AM

News:

IonicWind Snippit Manager 2.xx Released!  Install it on a memory stick and take it with you!  With or without IWBasic!

Stupid I (Static Libraries?)

Started by Shannara, December 06, 2006, 01:41:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shannara

December 06, 2006, 01:41:51 PM Last Edit: December 06, 2006, 05:58:13 PM by Sync
Here's a question ...

Is there a way to create a .lib (not a dll) in Aurora that can be used in EBasic? If not, will it be possible in the future?
Love is staying up all night with a sick child, or a healthy adult.

Mike Stefanik

Set the project type to Static Library. However, I believe Paul has said that he's going to have to make some internal changes to EBasic in order for you to link in the libraries that you create with Aurora.

Mike Stefanik
www.catalyst.com
Catalyst Development Corporation

J B Wood (Zumwalt)

? I did it no problems.
See my post in the EBasic on it, I'll go into detail in a few hours when I have time to type of some demos going both ways.

Shannara

Hmm, in that post, you did it for dlls, not stand alone libraries (no dll dependencies).

J B Wood (Zumwalt)

Then I don't understand what you are trying to do.
I thought the lib files were only to help communicate with dll's (dynamic link libraries)

Shannara

December 06, 2006, 04:24:42 PM #5 Last Edit: December 06, 2006, 04:45:42 PM by Sync
From what I understand, and experience with other languages. It's possible to create libraries (.lib) files that are compiled into the final executable and provide functionality. No need for DLLs or anything like that.

J B Wood (Zumwalt)

What you are talking about is the source files.
The source files have all of your functionality in them, all the methods and procedures, in your main source you declare them and use them.
You create .lib files for connecting to dll's

All the lib files are as far as I am aware, are linker files to external dll's.

Shannara

A good example are userlibs from PureBasic. it compiles your sources into a .lib file (basically), in which other people can use. This helps protect your source and still allow other people to use the functionality w/o dll dependencies. But if I am reading you response correctly, both EBasic and Aurora cannot create user libraries. I am hoping *fingers crossed* that there will be support in the future.

Mike Stefanik

Quote from: Jonathan (zumwalt) Wood on December 06, 2006, 04:53:55 PM
What you are talking about is the source files.
The source files have all of your functionality in them, all the methods and procedures, in your main source you declare them and use them.
You create .lib files for connecting to dll's

All the lib files are as far as I am aware, are linker files to external dll's.

The .lib files that you see associated with DLLs are called import libraries. They just provide the entry points for the functions in the DLL. A static library (also with a .lib extension) actually brings the code into your executable. No DLLs involved. They're both "libraries", but are very different. What Sync is asking about are static libraries, not import libraries.
Mike Stefanik
www.catalyst.com
Catalyst Development Corporation

Shannara

December 06, 2006, 05:44:23 PM #9 Last Edit: December 06, 2006, 06:00:38 PM by Sync
Ah .. Thanks for the explanation. I am sorry about that guys, I meant Static Libraries.

More information: http://www.gamedev.net/reference/articles/article1316.asp

J B Wood (Zumwalt)

Sorry but that is a bit beyond my skills in either language.
In my .Net world, I just make my binary COM compliant  and expose it.
I would assume Aurora can have static members, but don't know for sure.

Ionic Wind Support Team

Yes just set the project output type to static library. 
Ionic Wind Support Team

Shannara

Jon, Paul, and Mike, thank you very much for your help :)

I was at work when I started this thread and cant run either EBasic nor Aurora from there.