April 24, 2024, 05:32:03 PM

News:

IonicWind Snippit Manager 2.xx Released!  Install it on a memory stick and take it with you!  With or without IWBasic!

EBasic questions

Started by Brandlingill, November 26, 2006, 02:49:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brandlingill

November 26, 2006, 02:49:01 PM Last Edit: November 26, 2006, 02:51:58 PM by Brandlingill
Paul.

I'd very much like to learn more about EBasic so could I ask you a few questions?

1. Are Aurora and EBasic going to developed as totally different languages or will there be a relationship between them?
2. Will EBasic be a second language as far as your development plans are concerned or will it have equal priority with Aurora?
3. Besides EBasic not being OOP what are the main differences between EBasic and Aurora?
4. Will EBasic (eventually) be able to do anything that Aurora can?
5. Will there be a Linux version?

Thanks.

Ionic Wind Support Team

Wow.  That is a lot of questions.

#1.  Yes they are totally different languages.  Although you can see my style and syntax preference in both of them, just as you could with my other languages.

#2.  Aurora is progressing as planned.  No changes there.  After much poking and proding by previous users I have recognized that there is a place for both OOP style programming and linear style.  Many users were disappointed that Aurora was primarily an object based langauge so now they have a place to go and another language to love.

#3.  Tough question.  As many differences as there are between say BASIC and C++.

#4.  Aurora, being class based, will always handle things like COM easier.  I can do anything in either language I suppose, it depends on the needs and wants of the user.

#5.  With hope there will be. 

Paul.
Ionic Wind Support Team

Brandlingill

Thanks Paul. That's very helpful.

Just one more thing - since EBasic and IBasic are similar (judging from other comments made on the forum) I went to the pyxia forum to look for IBasic documentation but it was not open. is there any IBasic documentation still available? Thanks.

Ionic Wind Support Team

Someone here might have it.  pyxia has been dead for a while now. 
Ionic Wind Support Team

GWS

Hi Brandlingill,

Emergence has a pretty good help system built in covering the IDE, language, 2D and Database usage ..ÂÃ,  :)

Early days for user guides though - and unfortunately the Pyxia library is not now accessible.

best wishes, :)

Graham
Tomorrow may be too late ..

LarryMc

Brandlingill,
I believe the EBasic help files and this forum will cover all your needs, one way or another.
LarryMc
Larry McCaughn :)
Author of IWB+, Custom Button Designer library, Custom Chart Designer library, Snippet Manager, IWGrid control library, LM_Image control library

Brandlingill

mrainey

I ran a good-sized IBPro source file (500K, lots of controls, ddoc printing library) through Emergence - compiled and ran with no changes at all.

Wow.
Software For Metalworking
http://closetolerancesoftware.com

Ionic Wind Support Team

I tried to keep it 100% forward syntax compatible.  There are some things you can do in Emergence that won't fly in IBasic Pro.  And those backwards differences will increase in the next update.

Ionic Wind Support Team