April 26, 2024, 07:47:51 PM

News:

Own IWBasic 2.x ? -----> Get your free upgrade to 3.x now.........

Re: Emergence BASIC

Started by ExMember001, November 26, 2006, 01:26:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ExMember001

November 26, 2006, 01:26:15 PM Last Edit: November 26, 2006, 08:04:18 PM by Paul Turley
is this the rebirth of Ibasic Pro? ;)

erosolmi

For sure you are a marketing man !

What kind of strings are available in EBasic? Are dynamic string there? I mean ole32 strings or just null terminated buffers?

Thanks a lot
Eros

Ionic Wind Support Team

For the moment a STRING type, a dimensionable string and allocated memory.  All NULL terminated. The next update will have the unicode string capability of Aurora once I finish the backport of it.
Ionic Wind Support Team

Steven Picard

Great work, Paul!

Will command paks written in IBPro work with EBasic?  Will 3D eventually be added?

Steven Picard

Quote from: GWS on November 26, 2006, 12:56:48 PM
It's my birthday (70) on Tuesday, so I couldn't have had a better present ..  :) :)
Happy Birthday, Graham!

Ionic Wind Support Team

Not directly.  You would need to recreate the project in ebasic, import all of the source, and recompile.  The directory structure of Emergence isn't the same either.  The 'pak' idea of Pro didn't really work that well and I will be including everything that I write for it with the language.

As for 3D...how about I finish the Aurora one first ;)  Then we could use the Aurora 3D engine with Emergence.
Ionic Wind Support Team

Steven Picard

Quote from: Paul Turley on November 26, 2006, 02:14:14 PM
As for 3D...how about I finish the Aurora one first ;)  Then we could use the Aurora 3D engine with Emergence.
Sounds good to me.  :)

GWS

Thanks Stephen ..ÂÃ,  :)ÂÃ,  It's getting a bit too big a number now - I'll switch to Hexadecimal I think - it won't look so scary ..ÂÃ,  :)

Graham
Tomorrow may be too late ..

Ionic Wind Support Team

That would make you 46 in base 16 ;)
Ionic Wind Support Team

GWS

He .. He!ÂÃ,  :) - much better ..

Graham :)
Tomorrow may be too late ..

Parker

Is EB fully compatible with Aurora (apart from classes of course)? I think that this would be a big selling point - being able to use both BASIC and Aurora in the same project.

Shannara

That is an interesting idea ... something like inline Aurora code? As long as the user have purchased both Aurora and Ebasic? Kinda like the same lines as Inline Assembly? I purchased EBasic to support Paul, and I'm hooked on Basic -based languages :)
Love is staying up all night with a sick child, or a healthy adult.

Parker

Oops, sorry for the misunderstanding. I didn't mean inline Aurora, I meant can you write a subroutine with EB and then call it from Aurora or vice versa. You couldn't do this with IBasic because of some duplicate function names when you compile with IBasic's libraries, but if EB used the same basic string (and others) functions as Aurora it should be fully compatible and you could combine the two in a project.

By the way, this is pretty cool. I think it's a great idea.

Ionic Wind Support Team

It will be.  I had toyed with the idea of adding the Emergence BASIC parser into the Aurora IDE and allowing using both types of source files in a project.  However there were some technical difficulties to overcome and some name conflicts.  Actually had Emergence compiling from the Aurora IDE for a few days...it was a bit strange.

Decided that a separate product was better for the moment.  Aurora and EBasic handle heap a bit differently which needs to be changed before you could use a static lib written in Emergence in an Aurora project.

Ionic Wind Support Team

Steven Picard

Being able to use both of these languages in the same project would be awesome.

Kanati

November 26, 2006, 03:06:22 PM #15 Last Edit: November 26, 2006, 03:08:09 PM by Kanati
Paul...ÂÃ,  ÂÃ, I know you are shaky on network stuff...ÂÃ,  but I bit on IBP without it...ÂÃ,  Not gonna do it without decent networking built in on this one.ÂÃ,  So what's the chances?

And that's a question for both languages really...ÂÃ,  Networking in Aurora and EB...

Ionic Wind Support Team

I will see what I can do.

Tell you what, tell me what you would like, describe the functions, and I will write them.
Ionic Wind Support Team

Kanati

November 26, 2006, 03:25:33 PM #17 Last Edit: November 26, 2006, 03:27:10 PM by Kanati
Well...ÂÃ,  Of course there would need to be a

Send
Recieve

set of functions...ÂÃ, 

Server and Client Listen and Connect functions

Keeping track of connections by a numeric ID would be fine...

Sending should be based on that id, and allowing a broadcast to all...ÂÃ,  Likewise, recieving should include that ID so the client can tell who the originator is...

That would cover the BASICS...ÂÃ,  Then the higher level stuff would come into play like making udp reliable, maximum connections to a server, banning ip's from a server...ÂÃ,  splines...ÂÃ,  etc, etc.

But the basics would be enough for ME to pull the trigger.ÂÃ,  I'd hate to see it stop there tho.

If you want, I can draw up something a lot more detailed covering syntax and such.   :)

Ionic Wind Support Team

That is always a big help.  If I have a syntax desription, expected results and errors, then it is a breeze to write. 
Ionic Wind Support Team

Barney

It would be nice to have a set of functions comparable to Bevets Control Pak fo IBasic, which was (still is?) available on Coding Monkeys. It was a great collection of various controls that made creating the GUI apps much easier.

Barney

AndrewB

Ordered my copy! This is great Paul. I've been a fan of your BASIC line since before IBPro. EB is a breath of fresh air for me right now. Thanks

-AndrewB

Blue Steel

I Swore that I'd never buy another programming language .. yet here i am again ;)

I couldn't really afford it but i've purchaced it anyway .. (my electricity bill can wait a while)
which is the main reason i've not purchaced Aurora looks like now I'll need to save up even more...

I guess i'm just a programming Language junkie .. hence Coding  Monkeys..

Yes Emergence BASIC (EBasic as its already starting to be called) will also be included as one of the many languages on www.codingmonkeys.com

(Paul could you please put an add for CodingMonkeys on your site for me .. and a link .. you can get the button for use on the top right side of the main web page at www.codingmonkeys.com  Thanks)
  http://www.codingmonkeys.com
Covers many languages including Aurora , IWBasicEbasic (Ebasic, IBasic) , Creative Basic

Ionic Wind Support Team

Sure Cameron.  I'll get to it after the hockey game (I am a junky too ;) )
Ionic Wind Support Team

Brice Manuel

I am drooling!  This sounds perfect for us IBPro lovers who were left dead in the water by Tom. 

Although I can't afford to buy it, I will definitely keep drooling over it ;D

This is awesome news, Paul!!

Rod

Will it be feasible to write a DLL in Aurora (presumeably something difficult to do in EBasic), then call that DLL from EBasic? Thanks!  :)