March 29, 2024, 02:56:22 AM

News:

Own IWBasic 2.x ? -----> Get your free upgrade to 3.x now.........

Ask general questions here

Started by Ionic Wind Support Team, November 26, 2006, 01:16:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ionic Wind Support Team

Welcome Emergence users.  You can use this section of the forums to ask general questons about Emergence.
Ionic Wind Support Team

GWS

Hi Paul .. great program system ..ÂÃ,  :)

I've tried a few ports of old IBPro programs and they performed perfectly.

I also notice you have converted lots of example programs to Emergence.
Has EBasic been designed for close compatibility with IBPro code ?- I can't fault it so far :)

all the best, :)

Graham

Tomorrow may be too late ..

Ionic Wind Support Team

Yes.  It should be nearly 100% code compatible.  There are some difference, a few backports from Aurora here and there.
Ionic Wind Support Team

Vikki

I can't be more excited! This is awesome! Did some quickie things and it's pretty simple. Now to follow Graham and try to port some things. This will be fun!

Doc

A quick question...
Will there be additional controls added (e.g. tab control  ;D ) to EB sometime in the future?

-Doc-

P.S. I noticed that we have database goodies already included. Good stuff!

Ionic Wind Support Team

Yes. I just have to add the buttons to the gui designer.
Ionic Wind Support Team

Blue Steel

So just what are the changes that one might have to make to get IBasicPro Programs to work with EBasic.

ie: what should we look out for.. and change

apart from the extra command pack stuff which you've already explaioned that one needs to re-compile using EBasic

Will ALL the Command packs recompile if one has the source.. eg: the control.pak sound.pak 3d.Pak

I guess i'm looking for anything from IBasic days thats different to how Ebasic does things is there a list

(PS: can you add www.codingmonkeys.com into the Welcome pages for Aurora and EBasic thanks)
  http://www.codingmonkeys.com
Covers many languages including Aurora , IWBasicEbasic (Ebasic, IBasic) , Creative Basic

Ionic Wind Support Team

They should.  But you'll need to write a different installer as fletchies pak gen won't work with it.

The syntax won't be the problem, depends on how many low level calls your code depended on.  If you were using undocumented stuff in Pro then there is a possibility it won't work in Emergence.  Even more so in the next update as all of the low level heap stuff is being changed to match Aurora's usage of it.

Paul.
Ionic Wind Support Team

Blue Steel

http://www.codingmonkeys.com
Covers many languages including Aurora , IWBasicEbasic (Ebasic, IBasic) , Creative Basic

Barney

Regarding 3rd party paks, I've just had a good experience with Steve Boothman's "Common Controls & Functions Pak". All that was needed was to copy the necessary files from IBDev to respective EBDev folders and my app recompiled and worked without any changes. How's that for compatibility?  ;D

Barney

barry

Can I get some information about the debugger in Ebasic?  That's the most disappointing part of Ibasic.  Is this any better?  And if so, how?  Could you give a comparision or something?

Thanks,
Barry

Ionic Wind Support Team

Try out the Aurora demo.  The debugger in Aurora is the direction I am heading in for Emergence BASIC as well.  Will have variable display in the next update for example, we now have our own disassembler as well.

Paul.
Ionic Wind Support Team

GWS

Hooray! ...  :) .. Docs arrived .. all's well with the World  ;D

Graham
Tomorrow may be too late ..

tide

Paul,

Is there any chance of including a BigNum library in EB (or Aurora for that matter!)? It would be very helpful in making demos related to encryption for my students.

Ionic Wind Support Team

Ionic Wind Support Team

tide

Quote from: Paul Turley on November 26, 2006, 11:41:46 PM
How big do you need?

Ideally, it would be something like this: http://www.swox.com/gmp/

Short of that, hundreds of digits would be great along with fast "MOD" and "POW" functions.

barry

Well, at least tell me how I can set a breakpoint in Aurora.  I compiled for debugging and I hit debug but it just runs the program.  Using a STOP keyword doesn't work as in IBasic.  I can't find anything in the help.

Barry

Ionic Wind Support Team

Ionic Wind Support Team

Ionic Wind Support Team

It's also the first tutorial in the "Tutorials and Documentation" forum for Aurora.

http://www.ionicwind.com/forums/index.php/topic,1058.0.html
Ionic Wind Support Team

Brice Manuel

I know you mentioned elsewhere that you would be porting Aurora's 3D engine for use with EBASIC.  Am I correct in assuming (I know the joke and I prove it on a regular basis) that Aurora's DX9 based Sprite 3D lib/pak will be ported as well?

gianni

I am a registered users of IBP 
is there a discount for the purchase of EBasic?

tide

Quote from: gianni on November 28, 2006, 01:58:05 AM
I am a registered users of IBPÂÃ, 

I think we are getting a break with the "introductory pricing" of this little gem.  :)

Ionic Wind Support Team

Quote from: Kuron on November 27, 2006, 11:37:57 PM
I know you mentioned elsewhere that you would be porting Aurora's 3D engine for use with EBASIC.  Am I correct in assuming (I know the joke and I prove it on a regular basis) that Aurora's DX9 based Sprite 3D lib/pak will be ported as well?

Its part of the same engine.
Ionic Wind Support Team

LarryMc

Quote from: gianni on November 28, 2006, 01:58:05 AM
I am a registered users of IBPÂÃ, 

That's sort of like going into a Dodge dealership and saying, "I own a Ford; do I get a discount?" ;)

You're talking about to different ownerships/enities.
LarryMc
Larry McCaughn :)
Author of IWB+, Custom Button Designer library, Custom Chart Designer library, Snippet Manager, IWGrid control library, LM_Image control library

gianni

IBasic and Ebasic are the same product