March 29, 2024, 07:54:11 AM

News:

Own IWBasic 2.x ? -----> Get your free upgrade to 3.x now.........

Other engines

Started by Ionic Wind Support Team, June 01, 2006, 02:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J B Wood (Zumwalt)

My first entry into programming was through computer gaming magazines. Back in the 80's my grandparents saw the computer age coming like a storm, so they got me a TRS-80. I did generic ansi games on it. Later I moved into the VIC-20 with the tape drive where most of the games in the magazines came in handy. Those days you had to type in the code from the 12 pages of the magazine to get 1 game to work, then save it to the cassete tape.

This later followed of course along the Commodore line into the Commodore 64, I mean what else are you going to buy at Hills department store?
I stayed on that for quiet a wihile, mail ordering peripherals like a 600/1200 baud modem, external huge drives that weighed in at something like 15 pounds (probably less, but to a kid its heavy), later I got the C-128. I think it was in the late 80's is when I got my first ibm clone at radio shack. It was only an 8088 machine, can't remember the model, then I got a 80286.

Then I switched back to commodore with the amiga 500, that lasted longer than the 80286 did for games, still used magazines, had its built in drive, used floppies forever, I got one in the bedroom in its box, I burnt up the power supply, need another power block for it.

Everything is history from there. I never did get into mainframe programming or assembly, I think I bypassed that stage of development, which is probably my problem.

Zen

Well Paul. Not sure how old you are but i would guess you have one or two years on me, and when i went to college, i was programming Z80 processors one a board similar to that. With just the hex pad and a big book of opcodes too. So i guess its good that they still teach the old stuff even with the like of visual studio around most college's. It was a lot of hard work, a lot of homework reading up on the opcodes and the assebly language, but it was fun non the less.

After a few weeks hard work i managed to make a countdown timer that played a little tune. Top marks awarded :)

Lewis

Steven Picard

Quote from: zumwalt on August 02, 2006, 06:22:32 AMThen I switched back to commodore with the amiga 500...

That is still my all-time favorite computer.  I was a die hard Amiga user until around 1994.  Gave away my last Amiga stuff in 1999.  I play around with an emulator now and then but it's just not the same thing.

Ionic Wind Support Team

UAE is a pretty good emulator.  Runs pinball dreams and lemmings just fine ;)
Ionic Wind Support Team

J B Wood (Zumwalt)

Yea but it has a problem with the mechwarrior hex style game.

kryton9

I have no idea of how this porting stuff goes, but I was playing with ogre, that is running the examples in MS VC++ express, and all I can say is it is awesome.
I am confused if it is already tied into ODE, the physics engine or not as there were examples with collision and I saw header files for ODE in there.

If a port were to be done, I would say this is one to look at. Pretty amazing stuff.

Jedive

[url http://www.coldsteelengine.com/]ColdSteel[/url] works with Aurora.