March 28, 2024, 03:21:26 PM

News:

IonicWind Snippit Manager 2.xx Released!  Install it on a memory stick and take it with you!  With or without IWBasic!

Feature Request

Started by Zen, November 13, 2006, 10:05:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zen

Im not quite sure if this has been talked about before but it is something I feel is a must have feature in Aurora. Not language specific, but the IDE itself. I think the ability to double click a project file and make it open the project in the IDE would be great as at the moment it gets a bit tedious going through the menu.

Any other thoughts on this?

Lewis

Bruce Peaslee

It does open, but it's not working properly.
Bruce Peaslee
"Born too loose."
iTired (There's a nap for that.)
Well, I headed for Las Vegas
Only made it out to Needles

Zen

Hmmm. When i click on the project icon, it asks me how windows should open it. If I then say using Aurora, it just opens the actual file as a load of random characters that I only ever see with the Scintilla control and a few extern declarations.

Lewis

Zen

Also, Kale... Did you create an .awp icon for when or if this is added?

Lewis

Steven Picard

I agree with Zen.  I'd like to see this added as well (along with a nice new shiny icon from Kale to go along with it.)  :D

Kale

Quote from: Zen on November 13, 2006, 10:13:16 AM
Also, Kale... Did you create an .awp icon for when or if this is added?

Lewis

Yep, I've created all of the icons for all of the Aurora IDE and all related tools, and all of the document icons too (.awp, .src, .inc, .mnu, .dlg). Only the icons for the main IDE toolbar have been implemented so far. :-\

Bruce Peaslee

The project file type is not one you can register through the IDE, so I must have used Windows for that. So I think we can safely put this issue under "to be (hopefully) implemented".  ;)
Bruce Peaslee
"Born too loose."
iTired (There's a nap for that.)
Well, I headed for Las Vegas
Only made it out to Needles

Mike Stefanik

That's really not a function of the IDE; creating file associations is something that's done by the installer. I imagine that it would be fairly trivial for Paul to do, just one of those lower-priority items I presume.

One thing that I think is very important for the IDE is the ability to specify multiple search paths for include files. Personally I'd like to see the same basic thing that Visual Studio does and allow you to specify additional search paths for include files, source files, libraries and executables. Another thing, of lesser importance, would be the ability to modify the Tools menu to add your own tools to the list.

And while we're on the IDE, I'd also really like the ability to generate makefiles (for batch builds using nmake), as well as have "pre-build" and "post-build" command options where one or more commands could be executed before the build starts, and after it finishes. I use that extensively in my Visual Studio projects and creating my own makefiles is an irritation (not to mention that most people today have no idea how to create makefiles in the first place, but want the ability to perform batch builds).
Mike Stefanik
www.catalyst.com
Catalyst Development Corporation

Steven Picard

Quote from: Mike Stefanik on November 13, 2006, 12:29:03 PM
That's really not a function of the IDE; creating file associations is something that's done by the installer. I imagine that it would be fairly trivial for Paul to do, just one of those lower-priority items I presume.

It's more than just a function of the installer.  The IDE must recognize the file type when it's passed through the command line in order to open the project up properly.

Mike Stefanik

Quote from: Steven Picard on November 13, 2006, 12:36:47 PM
It's more than just a function of the installer.ÂÃ,  The IDE must recognize the file type when it's passed through the command line in order to open the project up properly.

True enough, for some reason I thought that it already did that.
Mike Stefanik
www.catalyst.com
Catalyst Development Corporation

Ionic Wind Support Team

Its been on my list for a while.  The IDE uses MFC and in as much a project doesn't support the normal 'doc/view' model.  So I have to code it by hand, just something I haven't gotten to yet.
Ionic Wind Support Team

Zen

Hmmm, as it has been mentioned above. Didnt you plan to use makefiles in IBasic Pro 2.0 Paul? Is it something you have considered for this project also? I've used a makefile to compile IBasic Pro programs before but I personally couldnt see what it did that the IDE didnt do, but I know they used to be used a lot in the past, so could someone explain a good reason for using them?

Also I strongly agree with Mike, I think that pre and post buld scripts would be great, more so on the post build side as it would be nice to do things like clean up files etc. Perhaps the post build scripts would be good for incrementing version information on each compile. I'm not sure right now off the top of my head but I am sure there are plenty of reasons for them.

Lewis

Kale

Quote from: Zen on November 13, 2006, 02:06:40 PM
I think that pre and post buld scripts would be great, more so on the post build side as it would be nice to do things like clean up files etc.

That would be nice to delete all of those annoying intermediate files when you build an exe. :)

Zen

Yes. I mean when I re-build CCL for example, although the .libs and example .exe's get compiled into a bin directory, just from using the IDE, there are still about 200 - 300 files there in the same directory as the project file, that just don't really need to be there after.

Lewis