March 29, 2024, 04:20:24 AM

News:

Own IWBasic 2.x ? -----> Get your free upgrade to 3.x now.........

Can the += style operators be added please?

Started by Kale, November 08, 2006, 03:51:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kale

Can the += style operators be added please? These are very useful and save typing, like this:

Instead of this:
Position = Position + Step;

You could have this:
Position += Step;

The others:   

-= x-=y (x=x-y)
*= x*=y (x=x*y)
/= x/=y (x=x/y)
%= x%=y (x=x%y)

:)

Parker

Have you tried them? They've been there since the very first alpha.

Ionic Wind Support Team

Yes and they are listed in the tutorial included with the docs.  Been there since day one.
Ionic Wind Support Team

Parker

Just thought I'd mention: ++ and -- are included also.

Kale

Quote from: Parker on November 08, 2006, 04:17:56 PM
Have you tried them? They've been there since the very first alpha.

:o I did a search in the Aurora helpfile and the list i found in the tutorial section didn't list them.

I'll take another look.

Ionic Wind Support Team

Perhaps not specifically but they are used in the examples and listed in the operator precedence section.
Ionic Wind Support Team

Zen

He he, we all have our.... Dohhhhh! moments ;)

Lewis

Rod

This brings up, I believe, a documentation issue.

I find it confusing when I see something in a example, which is not listed in the primary text as being valid. In this case, I might notice the "+=" in an example, but would look back at the primary text to confirm that it is a valid construct and not just an out-dated example.

My comment, of course, applies only to me. I may well be the only one who thinks this way, but I offer this up for consideration, will all due respect for the hard work and long hours Paul has put into the language AND the documentation.    :)

Ionic Wind Support Team

The documentation is far from finished. The tutorial is just that, a tutorial to get you started coding.  Not an all encompassing reference.

There is over 1050 pages of documentation that have to be written just to document the class, functions, structures and constants of the core libraries. And that doesn't include the 2d and 3d libraries.  I am about 1/3 of the way through that so it will take time before a complete reference is ready.

Paul.
Ionic Wind Support Team

Bruce Peaslee

Quote from: Paul Turley on November 09, 2006, 11:41:02 AM
The documentation is far from finished. The tutorial is just that, a tutorial to get you started coding.  Not an all encompassing reference.

There is over 1050 pages of documentation that have to be written just to document the class, functions, structures and constants of the core libraries. And that doesn't include the 2d and 3d libraries.  I am about 1/3 of the way through that so it will take time before a complete reference is ready.

Paul.

A big deal. Here is my suggestion. Start a new subject in the developers forum, solicit volunteers (I have seen a few already), and pass out assignments. In my view it is a waste of talent to have you do the documentation rather than approve it. I'm willing to do my part, but I think it needs to be organized.
Bruce Peaslee
"Born too loose."
iTired (There's a nap for that.)
Well, I headed for Las Vegas
Only made it out to Needles

John S

Quote from: peaslee on November 09, 2006, 11:15:19 PM
... solicit volunteers ... pass out assignments. In my view it is a waste of talent to have you do the documentation rather than approve it...

I agree.
John Siino, Advanced Engineering Services and Software

Steven Picard

Paul, I think most of us just want to see you and Aurora succeed.  I'd rather you program and offer assistance here than burn your brain out documenting.

Steven Picard

I also think that helping with the documentation and creating small examples would be a perfect way of learning the language.