April 29, 2024, 10:53:13 AM

News:

IonicWind Snippit Manager 2.xx Released!  Install it on a memory stick and take it with you!  With or without IWBasic!

RakNet Integration, Phase 1

Started by J B Wood (Zumwalt), October 17, 2006, 07:57:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

J B Wood (Zumwalt)

Code is not 100% tested, well wrapper that is.
Here are all of the components, please report any bugs to me, I will also post this on my main site later tonight hopefully in my forums.

Disclaimer:
This does not give you rights to distribute any programs for commercial use with the wrapper without first purchasing RakNet, for more information please visit:
http://www.rakkarsoft.com/

Quote from there site:
Non-profit applications or engines.
You can use RakNet for free under the Creative Commons Attribution - NonCommercial 2.5 license*. .

I am still working on this and will hopefully have a simple chat program to demonstrate the use, otherwise, reffer to the RakNet online manual at Rakkarsoft for futher instructions.

J B Wood (Zumwalt)

Did a test at the house with my more powerful programming machine looking for something along the level of a solid size.
This was the debug output:

Starting debug session...
Loading DLL: ...(loaded lots of DLL's)
User breakpoint encountered: Address 0x0040D8A7
Loading DLL: ...(loaded more DLL's)
Server is running
Allowed Players: 65535
The thread 0xC08 exited with code: 0
Server has terminated
Loading DLL: ...(loaded more DLL's)
The program 'Secret' exited with code: 0

Interesting thing about this, Allowed Players was a return from the server itself, not me showing my request during creation, this is what was successfuly initialized. The code I have that you can download only sets the server to a max of 8 players, you can up that to a max of 65535, be warned, this chews up swap space and ram. On my home machine it only took up 152 megs of ram for monitor processes, but took up 1.2 GIG of swap for everything else.

If you try to go over 65535, it starts the count over at 1, meaning that 65536 players is really only 1, and 65537 is 2, etc.
I guess my point is, once this is fully functional, the posibilities to use this in general applications are endless, you can send files, regular data, or what ever you want as a broadcast or point to point connection.

Oh yea, if you decide to go commercial with what ever you write using this wrapper for RakNet, you need to buy a license from Rakkarsoft, and please mention my name :) (I enjoy kudos)

This is going to be one heck of a complimentary item to go with Aurora, imagine the posibilities!

kryton9

Sounds very exciting Z. Thanks for the efforts!

Steven Picard

J B Wood (Zumwalt)

No problem, I just like building things. This is a major challenge for me right now and once I get over one or two more humps, its clean skies and all down hill.
Imagine with 2 simple lines you start a MMO engine... thats what I kind of finally got started.
Now if I can just get those stupid packets to behave... would rather figure this out on my own or get to a complete dead stop before posting for help on it, otherwise I will never be able to explain it.