June 03, 2024, 10:32:33 AM

News:

IonicWind Snippit Manager 2.xx Released!  Install it on a memory stick and take it with you!  With or without IWBasic!

DDE connectivity...

Started by crodzilla, July 07, 2008, 08:03:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crodzilla

July 07, 2008, 08:03:01 AM Last Edit: July 08, 2008, 01:34:57 PM by crodzilla
Using Emergence... does anyone know how to use DDE connectivity between another windows application.  I have a sample in VB, but I am unsure how to initiate a link in Emergence Basic.  I read the MSDN articles about it.  It seems pretty complex.  Yet excel can do it without any programming, and VB seems pretty straight forward.

A VB sample is attached.  It will only work if you use the MetaTrader 4 currency trading platform, and enable the DDE server.
It uses a linked text box which means the compiler does all the magic.  I think.  Any ideas?

Peter

This is just me guessing, but I think that you're facing ALOT more code than you think.

Since VB is extremely bloated with shortcuts to do whatever, it's easy to do pretty advanced things without that much code.

I recall a guy doing communication over DDE in another basicdialect that I rarely use nowadays, and the code was around 250-300 lines, with removed blank lines.
This was only to send a message using a mailclient. I'll be sending you the sample privately, since this is the support forums, and since it's been a while since you posted this. Hopefully noone will be irritated over it anyways.

Good luck.

crodzilla

Thanks for the pointer.  This technology is old, but unfortunately still used.  Weird since the client I'm trying to communicate with is only a couple of years old.  I'm just tired of exporting data from the client in a text file, just to read it back in to my program...

Appreciate the response... I'll read it over.

Carl