May 06, 2024, 08:41:15 PM

News:

Own IWBasic 2.x ? -----> Get your free upgrade to 3.x now.........

Interface your programs with Java

Started by Parker, January 12, 2006, 03:21:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Parker

January 12, 2006, 03:21:13 PM Last Edit: January 12, 2006, 03:24:16 PM by Parker
Apparently java is the current standard for colleges, so I'm going to have to take a class in it. But of course, not all hope is lost ;)
http://www.inonit.com/cygwin/jni/helloWorld/load.html
I can still write DLLs in Aurora to use in Java, and if you use Java, you can too. The trick is to use the "native" keyword when specifying the function, and to use the System.load() (or loadLibrary, depending) function to load the DLL.
Also see
http://www.codeproject.com/java/jnibasics1.asp?df=100&forumid=4729&exp=0&select=1078995

Zen

Hmm i wish i knew that when i was at uni. I would of wrote my programs in IBasic then just loaded them into Java. Ha Ha.

Lewis

Rod

QuoteJava is the current standard for colleges

My, my, how times have changed. My college had only one programming class, and that was in Fortran. We had no computer ... three times a week, we all punched our cards, then piled into the instructor's VW for a 7-mile ride to the shared computer center across town.

And yes, guys, before you ask ... we DID have to watch out for dinosaur hazards along the way!!  ;D

Bruce Peaslee

Quote from: Rod on January 13, 2006, 11:24:18 AM
QuoteJava is the current standard for colleges

My, my, how times have changed. My college had only one programming class, and that was in Fortran. We had no computer ... three times a week, we all punched our cards, then piled into the instructor's VW for a 7-mile ride to the shared computer center across town.

And yes, guys, before you ask ... we DID have to watch out for dinosaur hazards along the way!!ÂÃ,  ;D

Punch cards! You were lucky. I had to code on clay tablets!
Bruce Peaslee
"Born too loose."
iTired (There's a nap for that.)
Well, I headed for Las Vegas
Only made it out to Needles

Parker

Wow, I've never heard of the clay tablet way ;D I used IBasic Standard, that's how new I am at this (3 years ago). I actually downloaded Dev-C++ a couple years before that and couldn't even compile the examples. But I can even use the command line tools now, there's a lot you learn just by looking around.

Zen

Well the worst ive done is programming a Z80 proccesor with HEX codes which resemble ASM code. Its quite funny actually i have a sound file i got emaied to me. Its obviously a setup but its some scotish guy ringing up an ISP and asking for an internet for his ZX81. Quite funny.

Lewis

Parker

Oh, worst? I've done a little TI-BASIC (for TI graphing calculators) and a tiny bit of assembly, but I don't know much. And that's nowhere near anyone else's records ;)

Zen

Ive not heard of TI-Basic. Anyway i dont see the point in going backwards. Obviously learning assembly is good, but some other things ive done seem so pointless, its just forwards for me please.

Lewis

Parker

Where would we be if Paul had that attitude about assembly? Or the architects at Intel? Or any OS maker?

Sorry for giving you a hard time ;D

LarryMc

January 13, 2006, 04:55:13 PM #9 Last Edit: January 13, 2006, 04:58:01 PM by tlmccaughn
I did a little fat-fingering with a breadboarded 8080A chip in my garage in the early '80s; if that helps anyone.

Hooked it to an AP teletpye machine that had a paper tape punch and reader on it for program backup.

Still have that old teletype; I guess because it weighs a couple of hundred pounds!
LarryMc
Larry McCaughn :)
Author of IWB+, Custom Button Designer library, Custom Chart Designer library, Snippet Manager, IWGrid control library, LM_Image control library

Ionic Wind Support Team

Actually I like coding in assembly, always have.  Probably because the RCA 1802 processor I started out with had to be coded in hex directly.  Didn't have the luxury of a keyboard at the time.  Did have it hooked up through an RF modulator and could do memory addressable graphics.

4K of ram, a hex keypad, and a two digit hexidecimal display.  Those were the days  :o

Ionic Wind Support Team