May 04, 2024, 05:46:14 AM

News:

IonicWind Snippit Manager 2.xx Released!  Install it on a memory stick and take it with you!  With or without IWBasic!

IDE crashes

Started by jayelbee, August 16, 2023, 01:43:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jayelbee

When I start the IDE and try to load one of the example files, the IDE does nothing for 2 seconds then crashes and closes?  I had an old version of IBS installed and uninstalled it.  Could that be a problem? Suggestions???

LarryMc

which program were you trying to run?
were you trying to run a project as a non-project by any chance?

LarryMc
Larry McCaughn :)
Author of IWB+, Custom Button Designer library, Custom Chart Designer library, Snippet Manager, IWGrid control library, LM_Image control library

jayelbee

No.  Just one of the examples.  Several different ones.

jayelbee

I have also uninstalled iwb3, run CCleaner to fix the registry, rebooted computer, and reinstalled iwb3.  Same results.

LarryMc

tell me the exact install procedure you followed when you installed IWB
LarryMc
Author of IWB+, Custom Button Designer library, Custom Chart Designer library, Snippet Manager, IWGrid control library, LM_Image control library

Egil

August 18, 2023, 05:35:05 AM #5 Last Edit: August 18, 2023, 05:37:44 AM by Egil
jayelbee,

Your problem sounds a bit familiar to me.
Several years ago similar things also happened to me. But I finally found that it was the security/antivirus package I used at that time (F-Secure) that caused my problems. This was suggested by another of the forum users at that time. And when I disabled the security program before compiling my own masterpieces the problems were gone. And software I had compiled this way never had any issues when running on other peoples computers.

I tried to figure out what could be done and invited the software providers to let me make exceptions for my own code. They never answered. And  when I finally changed antivirus provider, the same things happened again.

They were unwilling to state what criteria their program used to block my self-produced software, without even warning me.
So, to cut a long story short, I had to consider why should I really trust them, as long as they didn't trust me?
So I changed my security software provider. But history unfortunately repeated itself time and time again.

Finally, I ended up with a program package from Emsisoft. They deliver user-friendly solutions at reasonable prices. And even if their program also sometimes finds that my self-produced code is somewhat suspicious, the program does not do anything without asking me first.

I am not sure, but it is highly likely that you are facing the same problem that I had.

Good luck to you, and welcome to the forum!

Egil
Support Amateur Radio  -  Have a ham  for dinner!

jayelbee

I removed the antivirus software Malwarebytes, which incidentally flags this website as having a trojan, rebooted and tried the ide again with same results.  Tries to open any of the example, i.e. addressbook.ibw, hangs for 2-3 seconds then closes the ide. 

Setup is Win 10 with 8gb memory and 1 tb ssd.
Installation was standard using the Memory stick option.  Watched as the messages regarding libraries being unpacked.  When done clicked the button to start IDE.  Try to load any example included with the package and IDE sits idle for 2-3 seconds and closes.

billhsln

I use Eset Internet Security Antivirus and it never flags my programs.

I wish I could help with the crashing, but maybe it is due to installing it on a memory stick?

Bill
When all else fails, get a bigger hammer.

jayelbee

Insralled on c drive with memory stick option.  Loads software into c:\ibwdev3 folder.  Shortcut points to c:\IBWDev3\bin\IBWDev.exe.  Have also tried using the iwb3starter.exe with same resumts.  The IBWDev.ini file looks correct pointing to the examples, templates,and tools subdirectories.

Also tried to create a new file and IDE crashes in the same manner.

Brian

August 18, 2023, 12:30:43 PM #9 Last Edit: August 18, 2023, 02:44:29 PM by Brian
I run Malwarebytes, as well - I like it, but it also flags the IWB Forum as having a Trojan. I have added two exclusions, "c:\iwbdev3" and "www.ionicwind.com"

Still shows the Trojan message from time to time, but I can live with that. I do a Manual Scan on the IWBDev3 folder weekly - never finds anything worth worrying about

When you installed IWB, did you right-click and Install as Administrator? Just wondered... Also, maybe you have not given yourself the correct rights to the IWB folder

Brian

LarryMc

Just for kicks I downloaded and re-installed IWB on my computer and I'm getting the same general corrupted indication. So, something has happened to the file on the server.  In installing it on my computer has messed up the install on my computer. It might take me a bit to sort things out. I don't want to mess up my backups. I will post a message when I get things sorted out.
LarryMc

LarryMc

well, it might take longer to sort out than I thought. The IDe IS WRITTEN IN iWb, MY iwb IS CORRUPTED AND I can't find my backup right now. And I'm in a major house revamp because my daughter is fixingg to move in with me. Hopefully LarryS has a backup copy that will fix the problem.
LarryMc

Brian

August 19, 2023, 04:51:01 AM #12 Last Edit: August 19, 2023, 04:52:32 AM by Brian
Larry,

Do you need the installation exe (iwb3setup.exe)? I can send it if you wish...

Brian

LarryMc

Quote from: Brian on August 19, 2023, 04:51:01 AMLarry,

Do you need the installation exe (iwb3setup.exe)? I can send it if you wish...

Brian
that might be a quick fix  if you would.
LarryMc

Rock Ridge Farm (Larry)

I found a copy of the iwb3 installer - LarryMc downloaded it and same issue.
I run it on Linux under wine and have no issues.
Therefore I suspect that Windoz has updated something.

Still researching

Larry and LarryMc

Rock Ridge Farm (Larry)

Used old laptop and loaded fresh copy of win 10.
Did not allow it to update.
Loaded IWB and it work without issue.
Will allow it to update tonight and check in the AM.

Larry

Rock Ridge Farm (Larry)

Allowed to update and still works.
After re-install it has issues.
I think this has to be a change in the Windoz registry.

Still investigating.

Larry

Rock Ridge Farm (Larry)

Is this still a problem?
My puter is working now - strange.
Larry

jayelbee

August 24, 2023, 03:49:16 PM #18 Last Edit: August 24, 2023, 03:59:37 PM by jayelbee
Yes. Still happening.  Ide hangs for 2-3 seconds when trying to open or create a new file then it just closes.  I have tried at lest eight of the example files and same result each time. 

System is win 10 home version 22H2 64 bit.  Core I5-6400 @ 2.70 ghz.  1Tb SSD WITH 631 gb free.
Desktop system with 27" monitor connected via hdmi
Usb keyboard  wireless mouse. Wireless printer.

No other user programs running.  Anti virus is currently just Windiws defender security.

LarryMc

Here's the latest on my efforts to track down the "crash" problem with the IDE.

I have determined that every function/activity within the IDE works with the exception of being able to actually open a file. In other words. If you do something that causes the IDE to generate an internal FileOpen command the IDE will "crash".
This "crash" is occurring on all copies I have of the IDE source code dating back to 2016. This leads  me to firmly believe it is not a problem in the code (along with the fact that I haven't changed the code in several years). This is in line with LarryS's initial thoughts that it was something in the registry.

I've searched the registry and there are several entries that look like COpenFilexx associated definitions. I don't know enough about C or the registry to know what I'm looking at but the problem has to be there.

LarryMcC
LarryMc

jayelbee

I must be missing something.  I thought the memory stick install option did not use the registry.

A couple of ideas to look at.  1) does Aurora use the same ide?  If so, does it work?  How about iwb 2.5?

Does the ide call the scintilla editot?  If so, is there a new version of it available?

Other than that I have no idea what to try next.

LarryMc

Quote from: jayelbee on August 28, 2023, 11:29:02 AMI must be missing something.  I thought the memory stick install option did not use the registry.
A lot of Windows operating system constants are always stored in the registry regardless of where IWB is installed.
Quote from: jayelbee on August 28, 2023, 11:29:02 AM1) does Aurora use the same ide?  If so, does it work?
It uses a completely different IDE.
Quote from: jayelbee on August 28, 2023, 11:29:02 AM1) Does iwb 2.5 use the same ide?  If so, does it work? 
Yes, that's what I called the 3.0 IWB IDE while I was developing it.

Quote from: jayelbee on August 28, 2023, 11:29:02 AMDoes the ide call the scintilla editor?  If so, is there a new version of it available?
yes, the IDE uses the scintilla editor but the editor is not invoked by merely opening a file and the crash is occurring when an attempt is made to open a file.
LarryMc

Rock Ridge Farm (Larry)

If your windoz system has update and you uninstall you will have problems when re-installed.
I am not a Windoz person so if there is a registery/windoz person here please step in.

Larry

LarryMc

another piece of info to go with what I posted earlier today.
I pulled out a laptop that I haven't used in about 3 months that I was using strickly for family history pictures. It hadn't been powered up so it couldn't have had any Windows updates on it and it had never had IWB on it.

I powered it up and my plan was to use the IWB stick that I made fresh yesterday that failed like every other copy of IWB I have. I ran the stick on the laptop and IWB ran exactly as it was designed. Had no problem opening files whatsoever.
LarryMc

Egil

I'm pretty sure that Microsoft have changed something in the file management routines for Windows.
This morning I started my SDR control software for the first time in a couple of months. The software conrtrols a SDR receiver from ELAD, type FDM-SW2. The first time you run this software you have to set it up the way you want. This setup is saved to a configuration file, and next time you start up, the software use this file instead of asking you.
But this morning I had to go through the setup process before the program started. And when I closed the program and restarted it, I had to go through the setup process again. I called a friend of mine that uses the same software, and he called back minutes later just to tell me that his setup acted the same way.
We both run Windows 10, using norwegian language, on a setup very much similar to what jayelbee described a few days ago.

To make the confusion complete: on my norwegian setup IWB has absolutely no issues!
But on my laptop, running Windows 10 with a similar hardware setup, but set up for the english language, I have the same problems with IWB as jayelbee and LarryMc described.

I don't understand what goes on, but now I'm quite sure that my next computer will be a Mac.

Good luck!
Egil

PS. Just when I was about to post this, my friend called back suggesting that I should try starting my laptop on Linux and try running IWB using Wine.
I don't have any Linux  here, but maybe Larry can try this and see what happens?
Support Amateur Radio  -  Have a ham  for dinner!