May 02, 2024, 06:45:03 PM

News:

IonicWind Snippit Manager 2.xx Released!  Install it on a memory stick and take it with you!  With or without IWBasic!

Tutorial document or ebook

Started by Steve, November 24, 2009, 04:22:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve

I purchased ebasic recently and now I'm having a play with it.   I'm not a complete novice to programming, basically grew up with MS Access and VB.   Programming though is not my day job, I'm a hobbyist.   I'm wanting to write some database applications replacing some Access applications I've written.   Okay, I've introduced myself and now to the thrust of my question.   Is there a tutorial type document, book or ebook available which I could follow simply to come to grips with the basics?
Steve
Melbourne, Australia.

Copex

do take this reply the wrong way i just dont want to post NO and then for someone to post YES, so my officall answer would be I Don't know :-)

but Im trying to be helpfull so ...... (the userguide is avaible in PDF format)

the best way to learn is by trial and error i would start here, http://www.ionicwind.com/forums/index.php/board,25.0.html and read all the posts in this section... maybe start with this one http://www.ionicwind.com/forums/index.php/topic,2580.0.html

the datbase programming section of the user guide seems to be well documented and im sure if you are familier with schemas you will fly along, start with no GUI then addthe GUI later or use "Emergence Visual Designer" if you dont have it send paul a pm or check out the main page.

why not open a new topic in the Database section of the forums and post some code along with your questions and im sure one of the DB wizziz will help you along or make surgestions to improve your code.
-
I really should learn how to use a spell checker! though im not sure how it will help someone who can not spell?
-
Except where otherwise noted, content Posted By Copex is
licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License

http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/

LarryMc

November 24, 2009, 05:54:30 AM #2 Last Edit: November 24, 2009, 05:56:38 AM by Larry McCaughn
Steve,

If the "basics" you are wanting to come to grips with is "how to use EBasic to specifically work with access files" then Copex's post is correct and I would only add that there are some examples supplied with EB.

However, if the "basics" you meant was how to use EBasic itself then I would suggest the following:

Start at the beginning of the help file and read it carefully.

you can also find some tutorials at:
http://ebasic.wikispaces.com/

In either case, do as Copex suggest: don't be afraid to post your questions and code you've tried.
I think you will be pleasently surprised with how fast any issues you have will get resolved.

Larry
LarryMc
Larry McCaughn :)
Author of IWB+, Custom Button Designer library, Custom Chart Designer library, Snippet Manager, IWGrid control library, LM_Image control library

Steve

Thanks, I check those links and will probably print out the user guide.
Steve
Melbourne, Australia.

Steve

Where can I get a copy of the User Guide in pdf format?   I can't seem to find it at this site, the version is in chm format.
Steve
Melbourne, Australia.

Ionic Wind Support Team

It is installed with Emergence.  Look in the help directory.
Ionic Wind Support Team

Steve

Thanks, will do.   I'm at work at the moment so will check when I get home.
Steve
Melbourne, Australia.

AdrianFox

Steve,  for a long time (as a real 'dummy' when it comes to programming, as I've no 'proper' programming experience) I thought that what EB lacked was some more detailed help in the form of tutorials on this, that and the other.

However, you quickly realize that no tutorial is going to cover what you or I, or someone else, wants to do, as we all want to make our programs do different things.  The real tricky stuff will always the bit not included in the 'tutorial'.

The best thing to do is to get coding immediately and when you have problems, do a search of these forums.  It's amazing how much is there and often the solution to some intractable problem pops up immediately.

Failing that you can post some code and the lovely helpful people here almost always come up with a solution, however dumb your mistake may be (in my case!)

Good luck with your database programming; it's not something I've tried yet, but may have a go at myself during the long winter evenings.

;)
Adrian Fox

Steve

Thanks Adrian, solid advice.   I'm going through the User Guide at the moment, testing out the various snippets, making changes in order to cement my understanding.
Steve
Melbourne, Australia.