May 06, 2024, 08:15:06 PM

News:

Own IWBasic 2.x ? -----> Get your free upgrade to 3.x now.........

beginnings of a compiled Aurora Help

Started by John S, February 19, 2006, 07:42:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John S

Here is the beginnings of a compiled HTML Help for Aurora. 
This upload includes the latest string function descriptions (except the c-type functions).

Included chapters are:

Introduction to the Aurora Compiler
    Using Aurora's IDE
    Using the IDE's Editor
    A Few Comments about Comments
    My First Aurora Program
    Math Functions
    String Functions
    ASCII Characters & Codes

You are welcome to review and comment (be polite though, I'm sensitive)
If you have corrections and/or comments please post them here.  I will be updating this periodically.

Planned for next update:
  c-type string functions
  describe variable types (definitions, declarations and use)
  describe loops and program execution controls (for, while, if, ...)

Planned for future update(s):
  provide individual function htmls
  describe OOP
  describe GUI
John Siino, Advanced Engineering Services and Software

LarryMc

February 19, 2006, 07:53:59 PM #1 Last Edit: February 19, 2006, 07:58:19 PM by tlmccaughn
downloaded and unzipped into aurora help directory
All I got was skeleton of topics in treeview.ÂÃ,  Nothing on right side except ie error message saying it can't find web pages.

Opening zip directly from website I could see html on right side.
LarryMc
Larry McCaughn :)
Author of IWB+, Custom Button Designer library, Custom Chart Designer library, Snippet Manager, IWGrid control library, LM_Image control library

John S

try clicking on the + sign, then click on any of the topics.  I thought I set up the default as the "Intro".
It works on my system???
let me know

LarryMc

February 19, 2006, 08:05:30 PM #3 Last Edit: February 19, 2006, 08:09:39 PM by tlmccaughn
The treeview will expand and collaspe ok.ÂÃ,  It's just that there is nothing but the error page you get when IE can't find a web page on the right side.

Try downloading the zip and unzipping it to a dir like c:\aurora\help and then in explorer open the file.
This is what I get when I do a right-click properties on the right side:
Quoteres://C:\WINDOWS\system32\shdoclc.dll/dnserror.htm#mk:@MSITStore:C:\Aurora\help\Aurora_Help0219.chm::/using_editor.html

When I open other chm files on my computer they work fine.
LarryMc
Author of IWB+, Custom Button Designer library, Custom Chart Designer library, Snippet Manager, IWGrid control library, LM_Image control library

John S

I downloaded the file and opened it in a new directory and everything worked o.k.  Perhaps your download was corrupted.
If anyone else has had the same experience please let me know.

You can try renaming the .chm file to Aurora_Help.  That was the original name.  I renamed it to help keep track of the latest edition.

Doc

Work just fine and looks great!
Looks like you are off to an excellent start.  8)

-Doc-

LarryMc

Downloaded zip several times; unzipped to c:\aurora\help; same result; deleted it all after each try.

Got it to work by "save target" to desktop; unzipped to desktop; right click; 'properties'; changed from "read only"; it worked.
Copied chm file to c:\aurora\help; worked fine.
LarryMc

Brian

Larry,

Downloads and run OK for me. Got to thank you for starting this, as I am struggling
to get my head around this style of programming - I am still stuck in IB Pro Land!

Should be a great help in getting me going

Many thanks,

Brian

John S

Thanks for the comments guys.  I was worried when Larry McC couldn't get it to work.

Brian, I'm in the same boat as you.  I wish I had more time to explore Aurora.  I've only read posts in the forum and studied a bit of C/C++.  I only have experience with procedural/structured programming languages and only at an intermediate level (non-guru).

I posted a message about For Loops ( http://www.ionicwind.com/forums/index.php?topic=386.0 )
I think you might find it helpful until I can include that info in the Help files.  I really like what I've seen and learned so far.

It's going to take a little while before I reach pointers and OOP stuff.  Read Ionic Wizard's and other guru's posts for some insight to more complicated stuff.  Also find some C/C++ tutorials for additional insight.  The idea behind Aurora is to create a language that takes the best from everything around it.  I know that implimenting OOP is a priority.