May 04, 2024, 12:18:41 AM

News:

IonicWind Snippit Manager 2.xx Released!  Install it on a memory stick and take it with you!  With or without IWBasic!

SOAP

Started by J B Wood (Zumwalt), August 18, 2006, 11:50:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

J B Wood (Zumwalt)

Ok, here is a hot question for the dev ;)
I am rouding the bend on some things in my TO-DO list.
Well, I want to use SOAP to communicate a client-server connection.
Is this doable with Aurora at this time or not?

Bruce Peaslee

The only soap I used to communicate is when my mother washed out my mouth with it.ÂÃ,  :-\
Bruce Peaslee
"Born too loose."
iTired (There's a nap for that.)
Well, I headed for Las Vegas
Only made it out to Needles

J B Wood (Zumwalt)

::)
I knew someone would have a wisecrack about it at some point  :'(

Bruce Peaslee

Quote from: zumwalt on August 18, 2006, 06:42:59 PM
I knew someone would have a wisecrack about it at some pointÂÃ,  :'(

You bet. But I don't know what SOAP is. I was hoping to solicit an explanationÂÃ,  ;)
Bruce Peaslee
"Born too loose."
iTired (There's a nap for that.)
Well, I headed for Las Vegas
Only made it out to Needles

JR

August 19, 2006, 02:59:19 AM #4 Last Edit: August 19, 2006, 03:01:20 AM by José Roca
Is this doable with Aurora at this time or not?

Yes, it is. However, I don't have examples ready. Search for CoCreateInstance and you will find a few examples of how to use COM interfaces with Aurora.

The attachment includes two files: MSSOAPGUIDS.SRC, that contains the guids and that you have to compile as a library (.lib) or an object (.o), and MSSOAP.INC, that contains the typedefs, structures and interface definitions.

Vikki

August 19, 2006, 09:46:48 AM #5 Last Edit: August 19, 2006, 09:51:00 AM by Vikki
Quote from: peaslee on August 18, 2006, 11:17:20 PM
Quote from: zumwalt on August 18, 2006, 06:42:59 PM
I knew someone would have a wisecrack about it at some pointÂÃ,  :'(

You bet. But I don't know what SOAP is. I was hoping to solicit an explanationÂÃ,  ;)

Hi Bruce,ÂÃ,  :)

SOAP is short for Simple Object Access Protocol.

SOAP stands for Simple Object Access Protocol
SOAP is a communication protocol
SOAP is for communication between applications
SOAP is a format for sending messages
SOAP is designed to communicate via Internet
SOAP is platform independent
SOAP is language independent
SOAP is based on XML
SOAP is simple and extensible
SOAP allows you to get around firewalls
SOAP will be developed as a W3C standard

"SOAP Version 1.2 provides the definition of the XML-based information which can be used for exchanging structured and typed information between peers in a decentralized, distributed environment.......

SOAP is fundamentally a stateless, one-way message exchange paradigm, but applications can create more complex interaction patterns (e.g., request/response, request/multiple responses, etc.) by combining such one-way exchanges with features provided by an underlying protocol and/or application-specific information. SOAP is silent on the semantics of any application-specific data it conveys, as it is on issues such as the routing of SOAP messages, reliable data transfer, firewall traversal, etc. However, SOAP provides the framework by which application-specific information may be conveyed in an extensible manner. Also, SOAP provides a full description of the required actions taken by a SOAP node on receiving a SOAP message."

You can find out more at the following urls:   http://www.w3.org/TR/soap/ and http://www.w3schools.com/soap/default.asp

J B Wood (Zumwalt)

August 19, 2006, 12:55:15 PM #6 Last Edit: August 19, 2006, 12:59:14 PM by zumwalt
Thank you Jose', I'll take a look at this tonight :)
Going to setup some alpha (my alpha that is) of a server and a client to do some basic SOAP testing, got the web server up and running the other night and prepped.
Even put SQL server 2005 dev on it.

edit;

reason being, is that I want to enable Kryton9 the ability to just plug and play his meshes into my game on the fly.
Basically he can test his meshes in my environment with only having  a client on his end and select his mesh, my server then will receive the mesh and impliment it directly into the game for testing using the base logic already inplace, on itialization, I will read in his mesh information which he can alter on his end and on an update recognition, it will update the mesh on my end, etc.

The game itself will be running as a service on my server.

kryton9

that will be wild, I don't even know how that is possible... amazing stuff!!

JR

Forgot to include an small include file with basic stuff needed to use the COM interfaces.

J B Wood (Zumwalt)

SOAP deals with Envelopes ( thus a SOAP envelope ;) ), so what I do is give you a viewer application that allows you to synch your media to my media folder, now on my server, I simply load the media via XML files, the soap envelop contents would be any new or modified binary files from your media folder, I will check these via a manafest file that I create on the server, when you connect via the client, the client will announce the directory contents and last modified date for each file in the media folder, the server will receive this first bit of information and reply back to the client which files it needs.

I will refine this process down some, but you can transfer about anything via SOAP and the only port I need open is 80 or 443 once I have an SSL certificate.
Since it uses TCP/IP for its transport, each packet is guaranteed to arrive. What the client will eventually do, once I figure out how to use RSA in it, is transport the data with an encryption so I won't need SSL.

Hopefully this helps in understanding how I get the files.

kryton9

August 20, 2006, 12:01:29 PM #10 Last Edit: August 20, 2006, 12:05:42 PM by kryton9
Look into Hamachi, no ports required. It is amazing.

My friends and I are all playing using that now and no more having to open ports for different games.

It basicaly is a Virtual Private Network system. Just works incredibly.

Here are some very useful links:
http://www.grc.com/SecurityNow.htmÂÃ,  ÂÃ,  Episode #18

https://www.grc.com/passwords.htmÂÃ,  Use this to generate great passwords for Hamachi

http://www.hamachi.cc/ÂÃ,  ÂÃ, where to get it, it is free

You can have different Servers running on Hamachi, one that is restricted, used just by you. Another for gaming, and another for example to use with soap. Since each requires different passwords and you can control who can do what in each server, it should work out great. I would probably come in and via your SOAP setup use the localhost server then through Hamachi.

J B Wood (Zumwalt)

I'll take a look at this tonight.