May 11, 2024, 12:48:37 AM

News:

Own IWBasic 2.x ? -----> Get your free upgrade to 3.x now.........

spreadsheet style control

Started by vwchest, May 13, 2009, 03:32:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vwchest

May 13, 2009, 03:32:00 AM Last Edit: May 13, 2009, 03:41:33 AM by vwchest
is there a control, listview perhaps, that allows you to edit the 'cells' in place where ever they may lie on the grid. I know listview allows editing the zero position in place but i cant seem to edit the one, two, three... positions (subitems). Id like to preserve the column headers. would a wandering edit box or combobox that positions and reveals itself based on mouse coordinates at button click be the solution and would i have to redraw the listview control after editing a subitem?

LarryMc

suggest you search the forums with the word "grid"

I think you'll find several post that may help.

Larry
LarryMc
Larry McCaughn :)
Author of IWB+, Custom Button Designer library, Custom Chart Designer library, Snippet Manager, IWGrid control library, LM_Image control library

Barney

I am using EsGrid and could not ask for more.

www.ionicwind.com/forums/index.php/topic,1797.0.html

The site where you can read more and purchase it is here:

www.nxsoftware.com

The price is âââ,¬Å¡Ã,¬15 only, which is really a small price to pay for all the functionality.

Barney

vwchest

Thanks Larry and Barney. Looked over and purchased EsGrid right away. The functionality of this control saves me (now) unnecessary extra dialogue and control creation for the type of data entry and calculation application I am currently developing. Kudos.

Dennisc

I am looking to buy the ESGrid grid control. Looking at all the comments about including this and that I feel a little confused as to how much work needs to be done to come to grips with its use. Does anybody have some EB code which clearly shows what needs to be done. I might just be chasing up ghosts in that it is not as complex as some of the posts indicate but I am under some deadline pressure and don't want to add to it battling with a new control.
Regards
Dennis
Failure is only the opportunity to begin again more intelligently
www.denniscomninos.com

LarryMc

I bought it with the intent to use it on one of my projects.
At 1st glance it was a bit overwhelming to me.
However, there were several examples and one had the general stuff I was looking for so it wasn't like starting with an empty sheet of paper.

Then I ran into something I needed it to do that it couldn't do.  Can't remember what it was right now but it was enough to make me drop it.

Haven't ever gone back to it.

It's pretty versatile and powerful but it just didn't fit my very specific needs at the time.

Larry
LarryMc
Author of IWB+, Custom Button Designer library, Custom Chart Designer library, Snippet Manager, IWGrid control library, LM_Image control library

Dennisc

Thanks for commenting on your experiences Larry - most helpful. I'll wait out today to see if there are any more comments before taking the decision to purchase. At the price it is probably not serious if I follow your experience on a buy and try basis but I have spent quite a lot on stuff in the past that on retro-thinking I should not have. I would prefer to donate to EB rather than spend on unused tools.....

Dennis
www.denniscomninos.com

LarryMc

If I ever get through with my 2 current designers I've thought about taking a stab at a grid control of some sort.

But at the rate I'm going I might never get there. :D

Larry
LarryMc

Dennisc

I have both your designers so I know you would do a great job of a grid.

How's the anti-aliasing going?

Being behind is good news. Some time ago my kids gave me a plaque which hangs in my office. It simply says "God put you on this earth to complete many tasks. You are so far behind you will never die". So being behind is good news :D :D

Dennis
www.denniscomninos.com

REDEBOLT

May 14, 2009, 03:44:05 PM #9 Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 03:46:25 PM by REDEBOLT
Take a look at James Klutho's My Little Grid (MLG) .  It is free for a small sized grid.
Regards,
Bob

Dennisc

Thanks Redebolt, will take it for a spin this weekend. Nust be getting old - I saw it before but forgot about it. Thanks for the heads-up. :)
www.denniscomninos.com

Ionic Wind Support Team

I did start a grid control for Aurora a while ago.

http://www.ionicwind.com/forums/index.php/topic,1007.0.html

Wouldn't be too difficult to convert it to Emergence, might give it a stab after I'm finished with an Emergence update I am working on.

Paul.
Ionic Wind Support Team

Dennisc

Thanks Paul - a grid control would be great!
www.denniscomninos.com

psevet

May 17, 2009, 01:12:25 PM #13 Last Edit: May 17, 2009, 01:26:38 PM by psevet
Dennis,

I bought Egrid and find it quite easy to use.

Could'nt load the example with my post, nor send it to you ... I just sent an email to Paul, asking him to post the complete source code here.

You will get this : http://psevet.club.fr/Esgrid example.GIF

Regards,

Pierre

Allan

QuoteI did start a grid control for Aurora a while ago.

Wouldn't be too difficult to convert it to Emergence, might give it a stab after I'm finished with an Emergence update I am working on.

Paul.

That would be excellent for my use. 
A Database aware grid....   
and a Database aware Edit Box, List Box, Static control...

Allan

tbohon

Quote from: Paul Turley on May 17, 2009, 09:43:50 AM
I did start a grid control for Aurora a while ago.

Paul.

This is something I'd pay a bit extra for ... if it was like Allan said re: database aware.

"If you lead your life the right way, the karma will take care of itself ... the dreams will come to you."  -- Randy Pausch, PhD (1961-2008)