May 05, 2024, 07:14:08 PM

News:

IonicWind Snippit Manager 2.xx Released!  Install it on a memory stick and take it with you!  With or without IWBasic!

Browser Handling Question

Started by tbohon, February 02, 2007, 02:16:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tbohon

I have embedded a browser control in my main window and have it working just fine.  However, I don't want it to show at all in the final program - instead, I want a rich edit box to show while the browser runs in the background, hidden from view.

Is this possible? 

I've tried several different combinations:  hiding the rich edit box, attaching the browser (which is the exact same size and in the exact same location) and then un-hiding the rich edit box; minimizing the browser; etc.  None of them work - the browser is always visible.  I haven't tried putting the browser in a separate window hidden behind the main window ... but, before I do that, I want to ensure that I haven't missed anything.

Thanks.

Tom
"If you lead your life the right way, the karma will take care of itself ... the dreams will come to you."  -- Randy Pausch, PhD (1961-2008)

Steve Rusich

Quote from: tbohon on February 02, 2007, 02:16:01 PM
I have embedded a browser control in my main window and have it working just fine.  However, I don't want it to show at all in the final program - instead, I want a rich edit box to show while the browser runs in the background, hidden from view.

Why do you want to have a hidden browser control? The browser is meant as an input/output control and hiding it seems to negate its function...
Today I achieved unprecedented levels of unverifiable productivity.

tbohon

I agree.  However, I've been asked to come up with a way to visit internal websites and just collect ('screen scrape') certain values so my thought was to have a hidden browser doing the visiting and the rich edit box displaying the results.

Just the guy in the yellow rainslicker standing at the foot of the hill here ...  ;D

Tnx.

Tom
"If you lead your life the right way, the karma will take care of itself ... the dreams will come to you."  -- Randy Pausch, PhD (1961-2008)

Steve Rusich

Quote from: tbohon on February 02, 2007, 02:48:05 PM
I agree.  However, I've been asked to come up with a way to visit internal websites and just collect ('screen scrape') certain values so my thought was to have a hidden browser doing the visiting and the rich edit box displaying the results.

You can create 2 windows of the same size and same position on the screen. Put the browser in one window and the edit control in the other. Then use the SHOWWINDOW mywnd, @SWHIDE command to hide the browser window.
Today I achieved unprecedented levels of unverifiable productivity.

tbohon

That was my next option.

Now I have to figure out how to save the screen in the browser as text so I can parse it so I can format it so the managers can look at it ... and then ask me what it means and why is it in their email box?  ::)

Thanks, Steve!

Tom