May 21, 2024, 02:36:31 AM

News:

IonicWind Snippit Manager 2.xx Released!  Install it on a memory stick and take it with you!  With or without IWBasic!

Learned a Lesson Today!

Started by LarryMc, January 03, 2012, 11:47:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LarryMc

After I got my accelerator key issue resolved I was going to build the dialogs for the new IDE Find function and the Find/Replace function.
Instead of totally reinventing the wheel I decided to extract the two resource dialogs for them from the existing IDE and modify them as necessary.

The dialogs were stored in the resource with all dimension in dialog units instead of pixels. I had run into that before.
I knew that if I loaded the resource file into RAREdit I could see the pixel dimensions while in the editor's IDE.
I had to make a few modifications in the syntax for RAREdit to accept the rc file.
Numerous times while in that editor I looked at the previw of the dialog.  
A screenshot is shown Problem2.  Notice that the the preview looks exactly like the working copy.

I then opened IWB+(my Visual Designer) and quicking created a copy using the pixel dimensions from the RAREdit IDE.

My working version looked just like it was suppose to look so I compiled it.
The running copy was larger than the working copy.

I then opened the IWB IDE Dialog Editor and created a dummy dialog and then looked at the preview of it. Screenshot Problem1.
Easy to see the difference in sizes.  That at least told me it wasn't a design flaw in IWB+.

All the original coding to create all the dialogs for IWB+ were done on XP machine with a 1024x758 monitor.

I'm now working on a WIN7 x64 with a 1920x1080 screen.

I went to looking and found where I had set the resolution to 125%.  I had done that when I first got the computer so the icons would be larger on the desktop and the font would be bigger in Explorer.  I had forgot I had done that.

After I set it back to 100% the dialogs appeared correctly.

But I have 104 jumbled up icons on my desktop.(When you change resolutions it rearranges them.

So know I need to look into finding a way to increase the icon size onthe desktop and increasing the text size in explorer without messing with anything else.

I'm also thinking there has to be a way for me to test at the beginning of a program whether or not the default resolution has changed and a way to adjust for it.

If anyone knows any or all of the answers to these questions it would save me time from digging.

LarryMc
LarryMc
Larry McCaughn :)
Author of IWB+, Custom Button Designer library, Custom Chart Designer library, Snippet Manager, IWGrid control library, LM_Image control library

LarryMc

Found a little free program that makes backups of the desktop layout.

I'll make one version for regular use with the 125% set.
The 2nd one I'll make at 100% when I'm making screen layouts so I can make sure I'm not making stuff too small.

LarryMc
LarryMc
Author of IWB+, Custom Button Designer library, Custom Chart Designer library, Snippet Manager, IWGrid control library, LM_Image control library

Brian

Larry,

Where do you get this RAREdit from? Been looking, and all I get is rubbish results!

Brian

LarryMc

The RAREdit is not the programs real name; it is just how I had it identified on my computer.

The author's original website is no longer there.

However, I did find it here and the downloads work.

http://www.oby.ro/rad_asm/resed/index.html

LarryMc
LarryMc

Brian

Thanks, Larry - just having a look at it now

Brian

aurelCB

Uff RAREd sounds weird to me too... ;D
This is a well know ResEd program,i use themm in past and found
him very good in some cases... :-\

Bill-Bo

Larry, Brian, and aurelCB,

Larry, the link you provide lets you download
ResEd 2.2.0.1. I had downloaded 2.2.0.6c back
in Nov of 2010. I just tried the main site, but it's
all messed up right now.

But, you can find and download 2.2.0.6c from:

http://www.soft82.com/download/windows/resource-editor/

I just did it so the link is good.

BTW. I have a son name Brian, a brother-in-law named Larry.
Well, battin' 2 out of 3. Sorry aurelCB no relations by that
name.

Good look.

Bill

Bill-Bo

Bill, again

I meant good luck.

Make sure you click the 'FREE DOWNLOAD' at the
upper-left. Like I say, the main site is all messed
up right now.

Oh, Larry, this is the same ResEd program, just
newer.