May 03, 2024, 12:08:27 PM

News:

Own IWBasic 2.x ? -----> Get your free upgrade to 3.x now.........

Can't create new project

Started by Columbo, March 21, 2015, 08:41:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Columbo

I'm having a problem trying to create a new project.  I can create a new file with no problem but when I select New Project it opens the Create Project dialog.  I type in a name for the project and then browse to the folder that I want to save the project in and when I click on the folder the screen immediately turns white and I get a dialog box that says: "IWBasic has stopped running."  I have tried this several times and it happens every time.  I even tried rebooting my system and trying it again but got the same result.  I don't have this problem with any other programs.  I am using Windows 7 and IWB v3.

Any thoughts on what might cause this? 

LarryMc

I have NEVER seen that problem before.
Is the folder you're selecting one that you have read/write access to? 
LarryMc
Larry McCaughn :)
Author of IWB+, Custom Button Designer library, Custom Chart Designer library, Snippet Manager, IWGrid control library, LM_Image control library

Columbo

March 21, 2015, 04:11:35 PM #2 Last Edit: March 21, 2015, 05:03:43 PM by Columbo
Yes, it is just a folder that I created on my HD to use as a project folder.  Either I am doing something wrong or there is a problem with my computer.  I uninstalled and then reinstalled IWBdev3 and the problem still occurs.

I then installed IWBdev2.51 and had the same problem.  I wanted to start writing a new program so I figured I would need to set up the project first and then add files to the project.  (Assuming that this is the proper way to begin). Then I selected the "New Project" and when the dialog box appeared I entered the name of the project and then entered the path to the project folder using the file browse button.  As soon as I select the folder the screen goes white and the dialog appears saying that IWB has stopped running with a button that says "Close program".  It does not even wait for me to complete any other fields in the project dialog.

Am I trying to create a project incorrectly?

LarryMc

I'm just grabbing at straws here.
Were you logged in as ADIM when you installed IWB?
Are you logged in as ADMIN when you tried to create the project?

And you did installed IWB as a 32 bit application right?

Where did you install IWB? Which option of the installer did you pick?

NOTE:   Some people have used IWB for years and have written some very large programs without ever creating a project.
LarryMc
Author of IWB+, Custom Button Designer library, Custom Chart Designer library, Snippet Manager, IWGrid control library, LM_Image control library

Andy

Hi,

I've had problems with Win7 access rights too, even though I'm logged in as an Administrator.

Please try the attached registry patch.

Unzip it,
Double click on it to add it to your registry,
Browse to the folder in question,
Right click on the folder,
Select "Take Ownership".

See attached.

Don't worry. It's safe, I use it when I cannot access a folder.

This solved my problems.

Please let me know if it helps.

P.S.
You might have to try "Take Ownership" of your entire "C" drive, if so that will take several minutes.

Thanks,
Andy.
Day after day, day after day, we struck nor breath nor motion, as idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean.

Columbo

March 22, 2015, 09:01:45 AM #5 Last Edit: March 22, 2015, 09:23:57 AM by Columbo
What seems to be happening is this:

If I create a new project and leave the path as the default, in the User/John/Documents folder, it creates the project ok.  

If I add a folder into the "User/John/Documents", for example "User/John/Documents/Projects" and create a project in that folder, then it creates the project OK.

If I try to select any other folder, other than one that is in the default path, it crashes. I have never had any problems with folders and ownership before.

Thanks Andy but for now I'd rather get the program working properly, if possible, without having to add anything to my registry.

Columbo

*** UPDATE ***

I have been experimenting with this problem and what I have come up with is this,...

If I try to browse to a folder to save the project in using the browse button then IWB crashes.

If I delete the default path and manually type in the path to the folder that I want to use, then it works. 

I don't understand why it works when entering the path manually but then crashes if using the browse button, but it does.  So, as far as being able to use a selected folder, as long as the path is entered manually,... then problem solved.  I would be interested to know if anyone else has had a similar problem though.

John

Egil

Hi John,

I had similar problems with a shareware I installed just after updating to Win7.
After much headscratching I found that Win7 had "blocked" the setup.exe. When I ran the program, everything looked normal and the software was installed, but I was not able to save anything made using the software.
When I via the properties menu "unblocked" the installer, and ran it again (after uninstalling the first setup), everything worked as intended.
I guess this was the first thing you checked, but I wirte this just in case...

73's
Egil
Support Amateur Radio  -  Have a ham  for dinner!

Columbo

Thanks Egil,  I checked and I don't think that the installer was blocked.  I can't figure out what is causing it but at least I am able to set the path manually.

Cheers,

John

ckoehn

I think Egil is on the right track.  My iwb3setup was "Blocked".  I have made it a habit to make sure the installer is "Unblocked" and to right click it and "Install as administrator", even if you have administrator priviliges, to make sure everything gets installed properly.

Later,
Clint

Columbo

Trying once again, I removed the program through the control panel, deleted the IWBdev3 folder from the Program Files(x86) folder to be sure that there was nothing left on the drive and then check the iwb3setup.exe to be sure it was not blocked. Then I installed it again as Administrator.  The problem continues.

I can't figure it out but as I mentioned before, at least I can still create a new project as long as I type in the path manually as opposed to using the browse button.

John

LarryMc

What options did you select during the install process?
LarryMc

Columbo

The only options that I recall seeing is the path to where the program should be installed, and the path for templates to be installed. and I used the defaults in all cases.

Cheers,

John

LarryMc

LarryMc

Columbo

LarryMc

you could reinstall IWB and select the memory-stick option; accept he default installation location or install IWB anywhere except Program Files and then see if creating a project works for you.
LarryMc

Brian

I use the memory-stick option, and it has always worked for me (Win 7 64-bit)

Brian