May 03, 2024, 02:19:29 PM

News:

IonicWind Snippit Manager 2.xx Released!  Install it on a memory stick and take it with you!  With or without IWBasic!

Emergence Basic on Linux

Started by rickmcneely, November 26, 2007, 08:25:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rickmcneely

I have been running Emergence Basic on Ubuntu Linux under Wine.  I thought others might be interested in seeing a screenshot.  Note that the program has been compiled and is running.  I thought that was pretty cool.

jerryclement

:)
Very cool!  What is your comments on how it performs.  Does it do graphics okay? etc.
I'm using Mepis 6.0 which is based on Ubuntu.  I might try wine also.

Jerry
Jerry - Newbie from TN

rickmcneely

I can't honestly say that there is not much of a performance hit.  Of course Emergence is stunningly fast on a windows machine.  So a 200mS compile versus a 240mS compile?  You can't even tell.  And I cannot tell much of a difference in compiled apps either.  Wine is very fast.  Not like the old emulators that were a desperation only option.

I have a few cnc tools for windows that I run via Wine and they run quite well.  The actual cnc engine (Emc2) is a native linux application.  I think that it would be very difficult to get something like that running via wine, with the very strict timing requirements.

I only tried Emergence Basic on Linux because I wanted to write my own utility for my cnc work.  I'm thrilled that it works so well.  Emergence Basic is an awesome product.  Imagine how much better it could get in the years to come!  (Check Please)

rickmcneely

Sorry,  I missed one of your questions.  I don't have directx installed, so I can't really comment on the graphics.  I believe that some linux gamers use it to run some windows 3d games, so I would think that support for that is at least adequate.  Also, I know that Photoshop has been run under Wine.