May 03, 2024, 11:45:06 AM

News:

IonicWind Snippit Manager 2.xx Released!  Install it on a memory stick and take it with you!  With or without IWBasic!

EBASIC suggestion

Started by Junner2003, August 07, 2007, 10:02:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Junner2003

Maybe for the version 2.0 in 2010:

The EB compiler is great, the possibilities endless. After all, a big problem new users are facing is to understand all the fuctions, syntax and commands. Experienced users might not really have problems by finding answers in the user guide. Even I learn every day a little bit more!  ;)

However,
I am starting to think if an improved EDITOR would not be welcomed by a lot of people?
Sure, now I make me a lot of enemies by saying it but I find myself more and more using VB2005 because of you can create WINDOW FORMS with CONTROLS very easy - (I guess I am lazy but it is addicting  :D) - now, think about a VS-like EDITOR UI combined with the EB compiler ... noone would ask for MS .NET anymore!  :)

Yes, I know: it is a dream! But a nice one! ;)
To come back to the point: wouldn't it make sense to start thinking of upgrading the EB editor and add more functionality? As example a list of controls and functions on the left of the editor window: as example you double-click on OPENWINDOW and it fills in the code automatically in the script window at the actual mouse position and all the user has to do, is, to change the values for size, caption and so on ... - ... that would save lots of time which you can use to really focus on the difficult parts in the program you're going to create ...

I just thougt it might improve the whole product. I got the idea while creating such an EB editor for myself with VB2005 - it is too buggy and instabile,so, I really can't provide it to anyone. The good side on this was that I had to deal with functions and controls I never even heard of before!  :)

Afterwards I began to wonder why not to add more functionality to the original EB editor? People who prefer to write every single line of a control woud not lose anything and people who have difficulties with that - like me - might find it easier to get something done!

ts-soft

August 07, 2007, 10:29:48 AM #1 Last Edit: December 12, 2009, 01:47:30 AM by GWS
Some enhancement for the Emergence IDE would useful, but for me more things like Folding, Plugininterface and so on

Thomas

PS: Here is an Visual Editor, usefull in most languages: http://www.radasm.com/resed/index.html (Freeware)
Not for beginners but api is in windows programming always required  ;)

////Link is no longer valid - Moderator////

Try this one ..

http://radasm.cherrytree.at/

Graham
Sorry for my bad english

Brice Manuel

QuoteAfterwards I began to wonder why not to add more functionality to the original EB editor? People who prefer to write every single line of a control woud not lose anything and people who have difficulties with that - like me - might find it easier to get something done!
I would be happy with an official generic syntax file list for EB & Aurora so I could use the editor of my choice and have syntax highlighting for commands.

QuoteSome enhancement for the Emergence IDE would useful, but for me more things like Folding, Plugininterface and so on
Folding is slated for the next release which will be a scintilla based IDE.

Junner2003

Quote from: ts-soft on August 07, 2007, 10:29:48 AM
PS: Here is an Visual Editor, usefull in most languages: http://www.radasm.com/resed/index.html (Freeware)

Nice!  :)
But you were right: not for beginners!  ;D

LarryMc

you can get an awful lot done with the dialog editor as it is right now.

And there isn't that much to change between a dialog and a window.
LarryMc
Larry McCaughn :)
Author of IWB+, Custom Button Designer library, Custom Chart Designer library, Snippet Manager, IWGrid control library, LM_Image control library

Junner2003

Yeah, in that point you're right! People like me tent to forget about the dialog editor. Shame on me!  :)
However, adding new controls afterwards complicate the situation ...

I just thought an extended editor interface would make EBASIC to a much better product! It is a great language, so, why not putting an amazing editor on top? I would be willing to re-buy an improofed editor version or an upgrade ... :)

Ionic Wind Support Team

Just save your dialog.  You can easily add new controls afterwards.
Ionic Wind Support Team

Allan

I find with using those whiz bang editors that u spend more time learning them than the language. And when you need to debug u have to know how they have generated the code.

I find it much better to work with a package like EBasic - and it MAKES u learn the language!