May 16, 2024, 08:10:34 PM

News:

IonicWind Snippit Manager 2.xx Released!  Install it on a memory stick and take it with you!  With or without IWBasic!

Norton 2012 and IWB 2

Started by tbohon, March 22, 2012, 08:54:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tbohon

Downloaded IWB2 to get 'back in the swing' of IWB before v3 comes out.  I started looking at code in the samples, compiling them and looking at the way things are put together (it's been a while since I've had time to 'play' with IWB).  Suddenly my Norton anti-virus started flagging every single .exe file I'd just created as 'suspicious', removed it and then forced a reboot 'to complete the virus removal'.

Before I start complaining to Norton/Symantec (which will be painful given that their tech support of off-shore) has anyone else experienced anything like this, with Norton or any other anti-virus package?  If so what setting had to be changed to make it stop?

If I can't program and compile my software ... it'll be ugly, trust me.

Anyway thanks in advance for any information/help you can provide in this rather bizarre scenario.
"If you lead your life the right way, the karma will take care of itself ... the dreams will come to you."  -- Randy Pausch, PhD (1961-2008)

LarryMc

Sorry, I can't help you.  I quit using Norton over 10 years ago because of all the problems it caused me.
I use the free version of AVG for my anti-virus protection.

Even with AVG there was one time that the day I updated AVG it didn't like Ebasic exe's all the sudden.
I sent AVG a couple of the exe files it didn't like and like the next day or maybe the day after that they had another update and my exes were okay.

LarryMc
LarryMc
Larry McCaughn :)
Author of IWB+, Custom Button Designer library, Custom Chart Designer library, Snippet Manager, IWGrid control library, LM_Image control library

Brian

It's doing just the same with my Avast anti-virus at the moment, which has
just been updated - it was OK before the update!

Brian

LarryMc

The normal solution in both cases is to contact the virus software company, give them the details and a specific file to examine.

LarryMc
LarryMc
Author of IWB+, Custom Button Designer library, Custom Chart Designer library, Snippet Manager, IWGrid control library, LM_Image control library

tbohon

Quote from: LarryMc on March 22, 2012, 11:51:08 AM
The normal solution in both cases is to contact the virus software company, give them the details and a specific file to examine.

LarryMc

Which I would gladly do if it didn't almost immediately delete the file ... :(

Thanks all.
"If you lead your life the right way, the karma will take care of itself ... the dreams will come to you."  -- Randy Pausch, PhD (1961-2008)

LarryMc

Quote from: tbohon on March 22, 2012, 12:44:57 PM
Quote from: LarryMc on March 22, 2012, 11:51:08 AM

LarryMc

Which I would gladly do if it didn't almost immediately delete the file ... :(

Thanks all.
Disable Norton long enough to capture the exe file and zip it.

LarryMc
LarryMc

Andy

Hi Brian and Larry,

Yes I have had similar problems with Avast (which I still think is the best).

Brian - the new update for Avast has 'Open in Sandbox' set to 'Auto', the older version was set to 'Ask'.

You can turn Sandbox feature off if you wish or change the settings for sandbox, attached is a help file I have just done for my project.

Click on the Avast page of the help file.

Larry - as for Norton, this has come up before - it's a pain in the you know what - would suggest a different AV.

I have tested several AV programs, at the moment (like them or not) the following currently have no issues with EB / IWB or any compiled programs made by them they are:

AVG, McAfee, Avira
as stated above Avast needs the Sandbox feature to be changed.

Hope this helps,
Andy.
Day after day, day after day, we struck nor breath nor motion, as idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean.

Andy

Brian,

Sorry, forgot to say attached (in the previous reply) is the help file from my project - click on the Avast page.

Andy.
Day after day, day after day, we struck nor breath nor motion, as idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean.

aurelCB

Avast eat resources to much.
I use KingSoft Antivirus and work fine for me.
If you want comercial stuff from what i know best of are :
NOD
kaspersky

Brian

Andy,
Many thanks for your suggestion - I will try that switch. I don't really want to turn
the Sandbox off

Aurel,
Can't agree with your thoughts at all - Avast runs fine for me. I changed from
AVG, because that WAS using resources

And I wouldn't have anything Norton on my PC - that really has screwed things
up for me in the past

Brian