May 04, 2024, 11:52:26 PM

News:

Own IWBasic 2.x ? -----> Get your free upgrade to 3.x now.........

Cannot compile source code

Started by Zooker, February 20, 2008, 05:45:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zooker

1st I couldn't run it Now I can't compile it, I guess I've  hit a bad spot in the road. I chose a program from the projects directory and tried to compile it, it said it did it. When I searched I couldn't find the exe anywhere. Would i need to get another prescription special or something, Looked couldn't find it?

REDEBOLT

Zooker:

Are you working with Creative Basic or Emergence Basic?
This is the Emergence Basic forum.
Your previous posts have been about CBasic, so this answer
will apply to CBasic.

Click on the button marked "EXE".  The icon has a couple of
arrows pointing down on it.

You will be presented with a dialog which shows the path
for the executable and the choice of tatget and icon.

Make sure you look at the path and determine if it is the
one that you want.  It will not necessarily be the same
as your source path.

Regards,
Bob

Zooker

Cbasic compiles fine and everything seems to work as opposed to Emergence, That tells me that I don't understand or have missed something in reading the help files, I am in the correct spot because I'm trying them both on for size, There seems to be very little
difference but perhaps dabbing around in both could shed some lite,  I thought their might be something wrong with my computer
but it compiles fine in CBASIC. A person told me to try it and it does run programs. But now I'm trying EBasic again and I can't compile and I am in Emergence's forum, so can anyone give me a clue as to what's wrong? :'(

LarryMc

post the file you are trying to run in EBasic here and we'll look at it.

Larry
LarryMc
Larry McCaughn :)
Author of IWB+, Custom Button Designer library, Custom Chart Designer library, Snippet Manager, IWGrid control library, LM_Image control library

Ionic Wind Support Team

Creative and Emergence are two different languages.  You can't take souce from Creative and paste it directly into an emergence source file for compiling. At least not without some modifications.

If your just getting started with Emergence then open the examples that come with it, and practice setting the target, compiling for windows/console, etc.

Paul.
Ionic Wind Support Team

Zooker

I wanted to reply to everyone but this may not happen. I clicked on my subject but no new space came so I clicked on replys on Pauls post. Maybe he'll be the only one. I finally compiled  a program [Editor] by clicking on single compile or something to that Fashion. If I may be so  bold as to ask why a Run feature was not added as that seems to be the case in every basic From A - G-K-I to Z. I think it is imensley helpful. Also why were the other builds added?
I don't mean to be disrespectful - just very curious!!

Jerry Muelver

Zooker, you cannot run a program until it has been compiled. EBasic is a compiler, not an interpreter like CBasic. Once you have compiled a program, you can click on the Run button in the IDE, and your compiled code will run.

See the Help file: Contents > IDE Topics > Single file compiling

Perhaps if "Single file compiling" came first in the Help file, in front of "Using projects", you would have been more successful, earlier, in trying to "run" (actually, compile and run) the sample programs.  ;)

Zooker

I  sea said the blindman to the Frog. Thanks Jerry!!

LarryMc

"Thump you magic twanger, Froggie"

"Hiya kids, hiya"

Larry
LarryMc
Author of IWB+, Custom Button Designer library, Custom Chart Designer library, Snippet Manager, IWGrid control library, LM_Image control library

mrainey

Quote"Thump you magic twanger, Froggie"

"Hiya kids, hiya"

Music to my ears.  Andy Devine and Froggie.   :D
Software For Metalworking
http://closetolerancesoftware.com

Jerry Muelver

Buster Brown and the turbaned kid with the pet elephant....

LarryMc

Buster Brown lived in a shoe and his dog did too.

Also on Saturdau mornings were Heckel and Jeckle, Mighty Mouse, and Winky Dink and You.

And sure can't leave out Watch Mister Wizard or Captain Midnight and his sidekick, Ichabod Mud.

Life was sure simple then.

Larry

BTW, I hi-jacked this topic.  Sorry 'bout that.
LarryMc

Jerry Muelver

And Howdy Doody in the afternoon... Tell you what -- Princess SummerFallWinterSpring wasn't all that simple!  ::)

Zooker

I hope someone has an antidote for what you guys got,Argggggggggggggghhh!

LarryMc

Quote from: Zooker on February 25, 2008, 09:34:38 PM
...antidote for what you guys got....
You don't need an antidote for fond memories of a simpler time.
I only regret is that there isn't a pill I can give my grandkids so they can feel that experience if only for a short time.

We're taking about a time when kids could leave home Sat morning and not come home until dark without getting into trouble or parents worrying.
It was a time when doors weren't locked at night.  It was a time when you could go trick or treating on Halloween without supervision if you were over 6 years old and nobody had to check your candy when you got home.

And if you hurt yourself on a rake a neighbor left lying around while you were playing hide and seek at night there was never a thought of law suit.

There was no problem walking home alone after dark after a movie.

Antidote. No way.  If anything put me in a time machine and send me back.

Larry
LarryMc

REDEBOLT

QuoteI only regret is that there isn't a pill I can give my grandkids so they can feel that experience if only for a short time.

Is there an internet site that plays old time radio shows?
Regards,
Bob

GWS

Loved your post Larry ..  :) .. same over here in the UK ..

Whatever happened ?

I also remember lots of woodland, fields full of wild flowers and butterflies.  Streams where we kids could go fishing with fishing nets and a jam jar.  Making our own toys to play 'til late evening.   Our own bonfires on Guy Fawkes day with our own little firework display.

Friends you could rely on, schools with a community culture, hardly any road traffic, petrol at 4 gallons to the ÂÃ,£.
Quality TV programs on just a few analogue channels - ballroom dancing, magic shows, whodunits and adventure, cartoons, and general light entertainment.  Only two or three news broadcasts a day.  And equally good radio programmes with real music from big bands Artie Shaw, Count Basie, Billy Cotton .. etc.  Not a guitar twanging 'group' in sight.

I go back occasionally to where it all used to be - but it's gone.

If you find your time machine, let me know, and I'll join you. :)

best wishes,

Graham
Tomorrow may be too late ..