May 08, 2024, 08:00:53 AM

News:

Own IWBasic 2.x ? -----> Get your free upgrade to 3.x now.........

FINALLY!!!!!!!

Started by LarryMc, April 17, 2016, 12:03:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LarryMc

Back in Sept of last year Topdecker reported a problem(actually 2 problems) with the F1 key.  One problem was that placing the cursor in between two letters of a keyword and pressing F1 caused the IDE to crash.  And the other was that  hilighting a keyword then pressing F! and then pressing  CANCEL after the help window opened would cause a crash.

I initially reported that I could not duplicate the problem.

The next day Brian reported the same two problems; Bill-Bo reported the 1st problem; as did billhsln and Peaslee
And on the following day ckoehn and W4GNS reported the same two problems.

In the meantime I reported that it worked fine on my wife's laptop also.

The two salient points here:
1) I was doing something different when I was checking than what everyone else was doing.
and the one that it took me a little while(and way, way, too long) to realize
2) F1 was never intended to work based upon the cursor placed between two letters of a keyword

#2 was an unintended consequence of the code structure of the FIND_FIRST, FIND_NEXT, FIND_PREV, FIND_LAST
In order to make those work the search term had to be saved between searches.
To see how it sort of bled over into this problem, do this

Open the IDE and highlight a keyword, say SUB and hit F1. You should be able to go to the topic then close the help file without it crashing.  Now put the cursor between the R and I of PRINT and hit F1.  It shouldn't crash but take you back to SUB.
The same thing if you use Ctrl-F and enter a search-term first before you use F1.

Anyway, I wasn't seeing that because 99 times out of a 100 I have a search term from highlighting.  I just DON't put the cursor between two letters and hit f1.
And that was my bad for sort of blowing over that and I spent too much time focusing on that.

The good outcome is it made me REALLY, and I do mean REALLY more over my code and the API and fix some things.  This was the only holdup I had from a new release with some other fixes.

I've got to finish of the coding on this fix and then beat the hell out of it to see if I can break it before I shove it out on you guys.

And as always, I appreciate you guys telling me when I need to issue a recall  ;)
LarryMc
Larry McCaughn :)
Author of IWB+, Custom Button Designer library, Custom Chart Designer library, Snippet Manager, IWGrid control library, LM_Image control library